Saturday, September 29, 2007

Zucchini and Corn with Tempeh Bacon

I was talking to my mom the other night and we got to talking about food. I'm not sure where this came from but she remembered a dish they used to make when I was growing up - yellow squash and corn with bacon. She figured it would be easily veganized and she was right. I really have no recollection of this from my childhood but regardless it made for an interesting dinner - with tempeh bacon that is.

We didn't have yellow squash but we did have a couple of nice zucchinis from the farmers market. I started by making the Tempeh Bacon from Vegan with a Vengeance (which I usually tweak by using maple syrup and cider vinegar instead of apple cider). While that was going on I cooked the zucchini in olive oil with salt & pepper and then added frozen corn. When the tempeh was done I broke it into smaller pieces and mixed it together with the zucchini and corn. Quite yummy. On the side we had brown rice that I kicked up by adding coconut milk to the cooking liquid and adding cilantro and lime juice when it was done.

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

it's always fun veganizing dishes enjoyed as a child/before going vegan - I recently did the same with some English Muffin Pizzas, which were always a favorite when I was younger. My parents and I agree that the updated, veganized version tastes infinitely better!! :0)

Melody Polakow said...

Looks and sounds delicious. I swear, zukes are the best veggie out there... they are so versatile.

urban vegan said...

I love that VWAV tempeh bacon. Why have I not made it in ages?

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

this sounds like something i would love. it for sure has some of my favorite things in it.