Wednesday, October 03, 2007

2 Quick Meals

Last night I was trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the chickpeas I cooked over the weekend when the Chickpea Pasta Sauce recipe in Vive le Vegan! caught my eye. The list of ingredients is rather long, but it's still quick and easy in that you basically just blend everything together in a food processor and then serve it over pasta. It was just a little hummus-y since the main ingredient is chickpeas but there's some fresh herbs in there and enough other ingredients (like turmeric, dry mustard, cider vinegar, soy milk and miso) to make it less like hummus and more like just what it is - a different sorta pasta sauce. I threw some chopped collards in with the whole wheat pasta, then when the pasta was done I drained everything and tossed in the sauce. Some fresh tomatoes complemented the meal nicely.

And if you really want quick, couscous is the way to go. Tonight I sautéed some chopped seitan and garlic in olive oil, added vegetable broth, brought it to a boil, then added couscous. Cover that and take if off the heat and in 10 minutes it's ready. Meanwhile I steamed some greens til they were tender then tossed in salt, pepper, lemon juice and agave. And as you can see we're trying to get our fill of fresh tomatoes now since they'll be gone before too long.

7 comments:

julie said...

I just made the same pasta sauce yesterday because I was in the same dilemma! It does taste very hummus-y, I agree.

Rural Vegan said...

You're right on the couscous; you can throw anything in a pot with it and make a complete meal out of whatever veggies need using! Looks great!

VeggieGirl said...

I've had my eye on that chickpea pasta sauce in Vive, but have avoided making it because (as you pointed out) the ingredients list is rather long; but it looks delicious served over the rigatoni (is that the shape of pasta that you used?), collards, and tomatoes - yum!

Couscous & vegetables is such a staple me for me - quick to make, simple to eat, and full of nutrition and flavor. love it!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

dang, those toatoes look good. my tomatoes are not as pretty (although still tasty).

Chris said...

Check on the rigatoni veggiegirl. And you should give the sauce a try. It takes some time to gather all the ingredients but then you just blend it up and you're done.

jd said...

Mmm...looks very good! I love how quick and simple couscous is, too.

In fact, I actually just finished posting a couscous recipe of my own... We must all have couscous fever :)

Chris said...

maybe there's something in the air...