Monday, October 22, 2007

Aloo Gobi

Last week I was back in North Carolina for a workshop. I learned a lot about landscape ecology and GIS, but perhaps the best tip I picked up was not work-related. Over lunch at an Indian restaurant one day a colleague told me about Manjula's Kitchen on YouTube, where you can learn all about making authentic vegetarian (often vegan) Indian food. So of course I had to come home and give it a try. These videos don't exactly have the highest production value, but still I suppose it's the next best thing to having an Indian friend come over to show you how to cook.

We had some potatoes we needed to use and we just picked up some cauliflower from the farmers market so we settled on the Aloo Gobi. We didn't have the soy yogurt I would've needed for making naan, but the roti sounded simple enough so I gave that a whirl as well. The Aloo Gobi came out more like something you'd get at an Indian restaurant than most other Indian recipes I've tried and the roti was pretty good too. One note about the roti video though (and apparently some of her other videos as well), is that what she says doesn't necessarily jive with what she's doing. She says 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water to make the dough, but that just doesn't do it. And if you watch closely you'll see that she's actually using a whole cup of flour. Oh, and if you watch the Aloo Gobi video and she puts a pinch of something you can't understand into the pot, she's saying "hing", which is also known as asafoetida and is available at Indian markets (as is mango powder, another ingredient used in this recipe that you may not find at your local mainstream grocery store).

5 comments:

Leena said...

Manjula's videos are my fav. place to get recipes from. Her aloo gobhi is permanently on my indian/pakistani recipe list, it's just perfect.

Veg-a-Nut said...

Aloo gobhi is fantastic. This is a regular in our family!. I will have to check out the videos.

VeggieGirl said...

I have had very little experience with trying Indian food, so I'm particularly intrigued by this Aloo gobhi dish - I really need to introduce my palate to the wonderful world of Indian cuisine!!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

ohhh, aloo gobi is probably one of my favorite indian dishes. i'll for sure have to try this!

trina said...

Thank you so much for introducing me to Manjula's Kitchen!