Sunday, October 14, 2007

Black Bean and Avocado Pizza


I wasn't sure what to call this. Mexican Pizza? But maybe it's more California-Mexican. Or I could just call it fusion and make it sound more sophisticated than it actually is. Because really it was just a way to use up a couple of things in the fridge. Namely a package of whole wheat pizza dough and a couple of avocados from Trader Joe's. We also needed to use a few roma tomatoes (sadly some of the last holdouts from our garden). I started by cooking onion and garlic in a little oil, then smashing in a can of black beans along with a bit of salt, cumin and chili powder. Once that cooled a little I spread it on the rolled out pizza dough and topped it with the sliced fresh tomatoes, salsa and avocado.

Now here's a tip for you. If you ever want to put avocado on a pizza, wait until after the pizza is cooked. The pretty green avocado in the picture is there because I had an extra avocado that I only added after I realized that the nice soft green of the first avocado turned completely brown after being in the oven for 10 minutes. If you look closely at the picture you might see some of it on there but it came out to be about the color of the black beans. Live and learn.

8 comments:

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

this sounds awesome!

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

I love this. I remember, a while back, when I couldn't decide on what to do with pizza I made one traditional and one similar to this. I basically topped it with all the things i typically want on a taco salad. it was my favorite, by far.

yours looks great!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Your pizza looks really tasty! I love avocados!

VeggieGirl said...

the combination of black beans and avocado on this pizza is tremendous!! one favor? please do not call it a Mexican Pizza - reminds me too much of Rachael Ray's "Mexican Meat-zza Deep Dish Pizza" concoction. Your pizza here is too good for that!! :0)

bazu said...

Hee- thanks for the avocado tip- you know after seeing this post we're all going to be throwing avocados on our pizza!

Veganista said...

Sounds like a great (and original) combo! Love the colour contrast between beans and avocado too.

alexanderkahn said...

Black bean avocado pizza is the pinnacle of pizza. If there exists such a thing as vegan feta, absolutely throw some on.

lukemelia said...

Made this tonight. Delicious! Added some cilantro pesto for an extra dimension...