Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Blackened Tempeh

Most of what remains in our cookbook collection these days are vegan and vegetarian cookbooks. But I've kept around an old copy of the Better Homes New Cookbook from my college days and it still comes in handy on occasion. Sure, probably 90% of the recipes in there aren't vegan but maybe half of those can be veganized with a little creativity. Way back in the day, I remember making a blackened fish recipe from this cookbook and I said to myself, "Self... why not do the same thing with tempeh?"

I made it up as I went along so I don't have an exact recipe to share but I started by marinating the tempeh in a mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic. I also added a little hijiki for a taste of the sea but I don't think it was totally necessary. When I was ready to cook I made the spice mixture with 1/2 tsp. each, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika and thyme, 1/4 tsp. salt and a pinch of cayenne. I coated the tempeh good with the marinade then rubbed the spice mixture into each side. Then I fried it in peanut oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. A little spritz of lemon on top and some collard greens on the side... mmm-mmm good. I think we'll be having this again soon.

8 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

blackened tempeh? genius! looks absolutely delicious! once again, you've amazed me with your uncanny ability to veganize ANY recipe out there!

Sean Tubbs said...

Wow... Just wow. I want that.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

very keen!

Veggie Cookster said...

That looks GREAT! I've been looking for tempeh ideas because I'm kinda new to preparing it... but this post gives me inspiration. Thanks! :)

springsandwells said...

Dang Chris!
That's awesome! I have to say, I'm really in a tempeh mood lately, and that picture is especially tempting! Love your creativity, as always.

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

i kept my Better Homes New Cookbook also. somtimes when i can't think of anything, i flip through it and make a vegan versions. we've done macaroni salad, pasta salad and potato salad from that book. its still a very handy book.

Jesse said...

Thanks for the recipe! I tried it and it didn't quite work out for me, but I'm excited about this site and looking forward to trying more recipes!

Alice (in Veganland) said...

I always bake my tempeh with soy sauce, but I'm gonna have to try this too! It looks great!