Monday, October 15, 2007

Noodles with Bok Choy and Tofu

Now here's one from Quick Fix Vegetarian. I've been looking through this book more lately for ideas that will help us get out of the kitchen faster, especially on weeknights. We always love noodle dishes and we're trying to eat more greens these days so this recipe sounded good. I made a few minor changes but mostly stuck to the recipe and it came out great. To start with I used udon noodles instead of soba because that's what we had in our pantry. I do like soba noodles though so next time we're at the Asian market we'll have to grab a package. But whatever your noodle fancy, you can start by cooking 'em in some boiling water, then draining and coating 'em with sesame oil. Then stir-fry bok choy, garlic, shredded carrot and tofu, add soy sauce and a splash of rice vinegar, and serve over the noodles. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top if you like (black ones in our case).

Something different we tried with the tofu this time was freezing it first. I've always heard that freezing tofu will result in a chewier texture but I don't think I'd ever tried it before. I just put the whole package of tofu in the freezer after we brought it home, then a couple days later I put it in the fridge to defrost. You have to press it well because lots more water drains out of it this way, but we did like the different texture.

7 comments:

Christine said...

I've always meant to try freezing tofu, but I keep wimping out. Do you buy it in the asceptic package or waterpacked? If waterpacked, did you drain that liquid out first? I'm full of questions, that's why I haven't done it yet, right... :)

Rural Vegan said...

I like that freezing tofu gives it a much chewier, meatier texture, especially for nuggets or cutlets and the like.

VeggieGirl said...

I have "Quick Fix Vegetarian," and this dish catches my eye every time I flip through the cookbook - I LOVE your rendition of the dish!! Oh and I never knew that you could freeze tofu... learn something new everyday! :0)

Chris said...

Christine - it was the waterpacked kind in a plastic tub and I just put the whole thing into the freezer unopened.

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

bok choy is the best

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I'm not into the defrosted tofu texture, but this still looks simple and delish.

bazu said...

Looks good! I like fresh tofu and frozen tofu and everything in between.