Friday, October 05, 2007

Sweet Potato and Seitan Stew

Rachael Ray be damned, I refuse to call this a "stoup" (it's thicker than a soup but thinner than a stew so I call it a stoup.... tee hee....) Ugh...

So you see, just because we don't have cable any more doesn't mean we can't still make fun of Food Network stars and veganize their recipes. This recipe from Rachael Ray was quite easy to veganize - instead of chicken stock I used water and veggie bouillon cubes, and instead of a dead bird... um I mean chicken, I used seitan and black beans. I used less liquid than she calls for too so I guess it's fair to call my version a stew. And it's easy to make your own tofu sour cream too. I have to admit though that with a few small adaptations this was good stuff. As much as I make fun of the Food Network I do miss it sometimes. I'd never cook like they do but it does give me ideas. Now I just need to remember to poke around on their web site every so often.

7 comments:

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

I love that you do this....even if it's only mostly because every time the sweet ol' lady at the grocery store points out that i remind her of 'that rachel ray person' i wanna deck her. ;)

this looks yummy.

laura jesser said...

Looks great! I miss the Food Network every now and then, like you said, for the ideas--though one day there will be a vegan cooking show on there, I know it.

Rural Vegan said...

I certainly hope there was some EVOO in there, and that you disposed of your trash in the GB. Heh, I love when Food Network recipes get veganized.

SusanV said...

Would you believe that I've never seen the Food Network? I've seen Rachel Ray on commercials, though, so I can see what you mean. ;-)

This looks delicious, btw.

VeggieGirl said...

haha, I LOVE that you're veganizing all these Food Network recipes - I must admit, I do watch the channel (and browse the website) from time to time (I know, I know, guilty as charged), but only because I like "thinking" about veganizing all the recipes featured on there. Great job, once again, with this vegan (and better!) version of a Food Network recipe. And thank GOODNESS that you didn't call this a "stoup" (*shudders*) ;0)

Chris said...

dgmgv - next time that happens tell her "maybe so but I'm a much better cook" ;-)

I don't know if I share your optimism Laura but it sure would be nice.

Yes there was and yes I did rural vegan.

Holy tofu Susan! That's hard to believe but you really should watch Rachael Ray some time if for no other reason than to laugh at all the animal fat she calls 'healthy'.

thanks veggiegirl... of all the Rachael Ray-isms I think I dislike "stoup" the most.

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

the broth in this looks really lovely. i have cable and find myself always watching foodnetwork . . . it does give me lots of ideas.