Sunday, October 14, 2007

Tofu Nuggets with Butternut Squash and Green Beans

We loved this quick and easy recipe I came across recently in The Vegetarian Family Cookbook. All you do is dice a block of tofu, then shake the pieces up in a container with a mixture of a couple tablespoons each flour and cornmeal, plus a little salt and nutritional yeast. Then bake those little nuggets at 425° for around 25 minutes, turning them once in the middle of that time. I cooked the butternut squash on the same sheet pan as the tofu and it was done perfectly in the same amount of time. And while that was going on I steamed a bunch of green beans. The tofu nuggets were great with a simple tartar sauce, also from Veg Family. Just mix together vegan mayo, minced pickles (or some pickle relish) and a little mustard. All that made for a nice fast meal on Friday night.

Update: I just edited this post to correct a glaring error. I was looking through Robin Robertson's Quick Fix Vegetarian before posting this and I mistakenly attributed the tofu nugget recipe to that book instead of Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Family Cookbook. Both are good books for quick meal ideas but the tofu nuggets and tartar sauce recipes are in fact from Nava.

8 comments:

The Little Vegan said...

Mmmm tofu nuggets!

maybepigscanfly said...

What a great idea those tofu nuggets are. And the squash looks cooked to perfection.

aTxVegn said...

That looks simply delicious.

Chris said...

Thanks!

And note my update. The nuggets recipe is in fact from Nava Atlas.

G said...

These look and sound really good! Id like to try one now....A lot better than the "Mac" variety too.

Lesley said...

I've been reluctant to prepare tofu at home and don't know much about nutritional yeast, but this post makes me really want try out the nuggets.

Vegan_Noodle said...

SCore on the tofu nuggets! Delicious and quick and easy....just what I like!

BigFoot Marty said...

I do a similar thing and sprinkle some soaked chopped dulse or wakame and the nuggets have a slight sea flavor., plus the kitchen smells great as they bake.