Friday, October 19, 2007

Warm Lentil Salad

I think I've mentioned before that we've started subscribing to Vegetarian Times again. It's not the most vegan-friendly publication but we've been finding that in any given issue, around half the recipes are vegan so we usually find something good to try. In particular, this lentil salad in the 'quick and easy' section of the latest issue looked promising. And indeed it turned out good. Simply cook some diced onion in olive oil, season with cumin, salt & pepper, add french lentils, basmati rice and water, and cook until the lentils and rice are done. The only small issue I ran into here was that the lentils came out just a bit firm. If I did this again I'd probably add a little more water and cook for a few minutes more.

Anyway, once the lentils and rice are done you just serve them on a bed of greens and drizzle a balsamic vinaigrette over the top. In the foreground of the picture, foreshadowing a future post, is a yummy olive bread from The Joy of Vegan Baking.

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

While I go read Vegetarian Times magazine, I am becoming irritated with the publication - they don't seem to stick to their mission/values. For instance, I just read in the newspaper that they will be changing their name to Greens Magazine in order to "appeal to a wider range of people." If you ask me, they need to appeal to a wider range of "veg-heads" (i.e. vegans!!!) since a lot of their advertisements/recipes feature eggs and/or dairy products, or honey. Okay, enough ranting from me, haha :0)

That lentil-salad looks great, and kudos to Vegetarian Times for publishing that (vegan!) recipe. oooh, and that olive bread from 'The Joy of Vegan Baking' looks delicious as well (can't wait for your post on that!!)

Chris said...

I hadn't heard about the name change veggiegirl but I have to agree that it's quite irritating. And stupid. If they keep trying to appeal to a wider range of people they'll be just like every other food magazine aimed at omnis. Wait... maybe they already are.

Lisa said...

The Greens name was just a test, they aren't changing the name. Nothing wrong with making veg food appeal to more people, though! :)

BigFoot Marty said...

Amen on the greens idea and name but appealing to a wider range of people is a matter of message and not name or packaging.

If you are veggies and the lifestyle BE THAT !. Off that soapbox

I find that many Recipes in VT are easily made vegan if not in the magazine. Egg replacer or Soy milk do the trick nicely......