Thursday, November 15, 2007

2 years, 500 posts, 1 big announcement

Time flies. It's been two years since we started this humble blog and whadya know, this is our 500th post. Well..... maybe I sorta planned it like that. Still, that's a long time and a lotta posts. Life was hard a year ago and we didn't do much for our blog anniversary then but we wanted to have something fun for dinner tonight. We just posted about savory pancakes, now it's time for the pancake's skinny counterpart the crepe. Actually Amey beat us to it but I swear this meal was already planned before I realized that. I was looking back through our archives recently and I realized that we've posted about The Flat, our local take-out crepe stand, and about making sweet crepes for breakfast, but we hadn't made savory dinner crepes yet. So I whipped out the crepe pan... wait, we don't have a crepe pan - it's just a standard 10" fry pan. So I got that out and made a batch of crepes, which we filled with sautéed mushrooms, spinach and tofu (the Veganomicon Braised Tofu recipe - quite yummy).

But even better than that was this fabulous chocolate cake that Darlene made for dessert. Chocolate cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting no less. The recipe was from Sinfully Vegan and it packs a powerful punch. Normally I'm one for getting seconds on dessert but one piece of this cake is enough to satisfy the most serious chocolate craving. The frosting didn't get extremely firm but that didn't detract from the delicious-ness of the cake.


Now I also promised a big announcement didn't I? How's this for big?

We're having a baby!!

Our little one is 15 weeks along now so that means that by May next year our lives will be changing in a big way. Our lives are already changing. Has anyone noticed we've been eating more greens? Small changes now, larger ones to come. So far mama Darlene is doing pretty well - feeling sick quite often buy not terribly so. And it hasn't affected her appetite much so we'll keep eating and hopefully posting about lots of healthy vegan food. For the time being anyway. I'm not sure what this blog will become - maybe we'll post less, maybe it'll be more about vegan pregnancy and parenting, maybe once the baby comes we won't have time for posting at all anymore. But we hope you'll stay tuned to find out.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your great news. How exciting for you both! You will surely get a lot of advice on vegan parenting (or why not too!), but my vegan sister loved the book "Super Baby Food" for making her own baby food. It's not a vegan book, but still, lots of good stuff.

Best of luck in the coming months.

Isa said...

Mazel tov you guys! I mean, the braised tofu was good news but the baby is great news!

Chris said...

Thanks for the tip anonymous. We'll look up that book.

Thanks Isa! Is it too early to start planning for the day when our child becomes a famous vegan chef?

nora said...

Congratulations! This may sound funny but when I first became vegan a few months ago, yours was the first vegan blog I found and started following so I've always had a special attachment to it. Now to hear you are having a baby is like hearing it from a friend! Sorry if I sound really creepy...congrats again :)

bazu said...

Congratulations! I actually gasped when I read your news, so your build-up totally worked! I wish you and Darlene the best through this journey (that'll be one well-fed baby!) My excitement at the chocolate cake totally pales in comparison to this! ;-)

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

awesome! congrats to you both!!!
i hope ya'll will have time to post in the future, no matter it be about vegan babies, vegan meals, pregnancy, etc. Good luck!

Leigh said...

Wonderful news! Congrats!

Vivacious Vegan said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. I get so excited when I hear about vegans reproducing. You know we need all the recruits we can get. Even if we have to make them ourselves. Hee hee!

DaveNorris said...

What wonderful news -- that's going to be one ridiculously well-fed little'un. Congratulations!

Mihl said...

Congratulations and good luck! Not only am I looking forward to the next two years and 500 posts, I am also very happy for you. Best wishes for you, Darlene, and the baby!

Isil Simsek said...

Great!Congratulations!I wish you the best.As Bazu says,this will surely be a well fed baby ;)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, crepes.. oh wait, BABIES! Okay, baby. Congratulations!

Darlene said...

Thanks so much everyone! Chris has been feeding us both very well. He is going to a super dad!

Veg-a-Nut said...

congratulations! What wonderful news. I am so happy for you. I look forward to reading your posts. Those crepes are perfect, boy am I jealous. I really need that cookbook.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh that is such wonderful news!! Congratulations to both of you!! You two will make amazing parents, and that baby will be so well fed :-) Thanks so much for sharing with us!

And of course I also have to say congrats on your 500th post! Wow, that's pretty incredible. Chocolate cake for everyone!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Darlene and Chris. That is such wonderful news! I have three babies and it is lots of fun.

Susan G

aTxVegn said...

Congratulations, Darlene and Chris! What exciting, happy news.

And 500 posts is quite a milestone. I always enjoy seeing what you two cook up and I'll hang with you post-delivery no matter what turn your blog takes.

Laura Faye said...

Congratulations! Such wonderful news.

Geraldine said...

Congrats to both of you!!! That is a big announcement indeed. Wishing you all the best, huggs to Darlene and you too Chris! You both will be wonderful parents, Im sure.

kelly said...

Congratulations! I feel like i'm hearing great news from friends just from reading your blog so much!so exciting--best of luck to you!

Melody Polakow said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you and Darlene will make wonderful parents..

It is such an exciting time!

Seb said...

Congratulations! Also I should say that I'm glad I've discovered your blog a year ago or so, it's been great, and inspiring.

Courtney said...

I just want to add my congrats to everyone else's!

Courtney

Cherie said...

Yay!!! How exciting. Congrats!!

madeinalaska said...

Bravo! and congrats! I second the super baby foods recomendation it is a fab. . book!

maybepigscanfly said...

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to you both. How very exciting. I can't wait until your vegan baby is introduced into the world. No matter what happens to your blog with this new addition, I'm very appreciative of what you've shared and I wish you the best of luck!

VeggieGirl said...

okay, where have I been?!?!?! I apologize for posting a comment so late, but I still want to wish you a congratulations on not just keeping up your fabulous blog for 2 years (so inspiring!! I hope to keep mine up for at LEAST that long), but for getting ready to bring a child into the world!!! how exciting!!! I wish you the best of luck with your new family member :0)

and I HAD to just say that that Sinfully Vegan cake looks BEYOND decadent - yum!!

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

Yay for May babies! So much love and congrats to you both.

What a wonderful way to celebrate your blogiversary and 500th post...with aMAzing news and chocolate cake! Does it get any better?! ;)

SusanV said...

Oh, I am so happy for you! Congratulations! Get ready for the ride of your life!

Jennifer said...

Bazu expressed my sentiments the best:
"Congratulations! I actually gasped when I read your news, so your build-up totally worked! I wish you and Darlene the best through this journey (that'll be one well-fed baby!) My excitement at the chocolate cake totally pales in comparison to this! ;-)"

Have fun!

Eesh said...

Congratulations! I'm a frequent lurker but I just had to delurk to say that.

Celine said...

congratulations to you!! :D

julie said...

CONGRATS to you both! I have enjoyed your blog SO much over these past two years!

<3 <3 <3

Christine said...

eeek! yay vegan babies! I wish the both of you a smooth, trouble free pregnancy and lots of joy and happiness. And a happy baby!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Congrats, you guys!!!!!!!! <3

Emmie said...

Wow! Congratulations!

jill said...

congrats, guys!!

Johanna3 said...

Congratulations!!!!!!

b36Kitchen said...

Congrats on the baby!!! I just had my first in August and i have to say it will change your lives but in a great way. As for blogging I actually find more time now than I did before which is strange but how it is. Good Luck!!

jd said...

Congrats on the new addition to your family! I hope things are going well & that you're both able to soak up every minute of your exciting journey :)