Monday, November 12, 2007

Chickpea Cutlets

Typically I might make it a point not to do something that everyone else is doing, but I couldn't have that attitude when Chickpea Cutlets are involved. This was probably the Veganomicon recipe I most wanted to try so even if they've been blogged about multiple times already, well I just had to jump on the bandwagon. Isa and Terry sure have done some wonderful things with the humble chickpea and these chewy cutlets are sure to become a regular in our kitchen. They were great with the mustard sauce but their versatility is apparent. Next time maybe we'll have them with smashed taters and gravy. Or how about baked with marinara sauce? Possibilities abound.

Oh yeah, on the side this time was sautéed yellow squash and a yummy salad I threw together with romaine, baby spinach, carrots, walnuts, chickpeas, dried cranberries and avocado with a balsamic vinaigrette. I only wish we had more of the cutlets leftover. If you haven't made this recipe yet, do yourself a favor and just go ahead and make a double batch the first time. Trust me on this.

15 comments:

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

this was for sure something i have tagged as something i must try really soon. glad to hear they are as good as they sound.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I plan to hop on the bandwagon too!

Celine said...

I just had to make a second batch of these, they're so good!

Lynn / vigilant20 said...

I wish my book would hurry up and come in already...I want to try so bad!

Anonymous said...

I liked the flavor of these, but mine came out really thin when I tried to follow their measurements, so they were a little too crisp. Did you fry or bake them?

Chris said...

I fried them but next maybe I'll try the baking option.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Yes, a double batch is neccesary. Made these last week and was sad when there weren't any leftovers! I like your idea of topping them with marinara :-)

Cherie said...

Yours look great, and I like the looks of that pancake below as well. Yum!

Veggie Cookster said...

I can't wait to get that book!!

aTxVegn said...

I can't wait to make these! Thanks for the suggestion to make a double batch.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Yeah, those are a definite double-the-batch recipe! So good. So, so so so good. I baked them meatball style with marinara sauce recently - also awesome.

amanda said...

i made these last night and topped them with marinara -- they were fantastic! my omni husband went back for 2nds!

urban vegan said...

I can't wait to try these babies!

VeggieGirl said...

haha yeah, EVERYONE has been making the chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon; but hey, they're worth making for sure! and I love the sautéed yellow squash & salad side dishes - great accompaniments!

Amy said...

Hey, I just blogged about that recipe. My post is here.