Thursday, November 08, 2007

Chickpeas Romesco with Saffron-Garlic Rice

A post title like that can only mean one thing. That our copy of Veganomicon has arrived (and quickly too). With all the hubbub in the vegan blogosphere about this book I was beginning to feel like I was missing out on membership to some cool club. But now we have our invite and our taste buds will be better for it. We have a slew of pages bookmarked but we started out with a couple of recipes that were fairly simple and for which we had all the ingredients readily on hand. Our Halloween leftovers are almost gone so last night I decided we needed something to snack on and I made the Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies. They were so fabulous that I lost count of how many I ate today.

For dinner the Chickpeas Romesco was perfect because I cooked up a big batch of chickpeas a few days ago and needed to use them up. Plus there were those roasted red peppers sitting in the fridge. Perfect since a romesco is a classic Spanish sauce of ground tomatoes, red peppers and almonds, among other things. It's often served with poultry but chickpeas really are a more compassionate choice and they hold their own with the bold flavors of the sauce. And I took Isa & Terry's suggestion and paired our beloved legume with their Saffron-Garlic Rice. Garlic indeed. Five cloves in there - that's some garlicky goodness! Add some steamed kale on the side and we had ourselves a meal! Our dance with Veganomicon has begun...

6 comments:

Cherie said...

Yum! I need to make that rice soon. Looks great!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

yeah, that rice looks like something i would eat all the time

VeggieGirl said...

yay for Veganomicon! my goodness, the Chickpeas Romesco looks fabulous!! oh and that saffron-garlic rice?? incredible. I LOVE garlic, so the 5 cloves of garlic is nothing to me - I add even MORE garlic to the mix! :0)

Rural Vegan said...

I have to make that rice!

Peace, Love and Veganism said...

Despite being sick yesterday, I found Veganomicon to be the perfect couch-buddy! I have only made one recipe from it so far, with less than stellar results, but after reading the rest of the recipes, I know the others will be amazing! I have some saffron I've been meaning to use, so this may be it. Loved reading your past blogs - looks like we have a lot in common, although my husband would kill me if we didn't hand out candy on Halloween ;)

Vegan_Noodle said...

Sounds like the start of a great relationship.... (you+v-con) Welcome to the club!