Sunday, November 11, 2007

Savory Southwestern Pancake

Last weekend in Asheville we had brunch at a cool place called Rosetta's Kitchen. The special that day was an omelet served with soy sausage, salsa and a creamy sauce. The vegan version of this that I had was more like a savory pancake and it was so good I decided to create something similar at home. So here's what I did for the batter:

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
pinch turmeric
3 oz. silken tofu
1 c. + 1 Tbs. plain soy milk
1 Tbs. olive oil

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a food processor or blender, whir together the tofu and half the soy milk until creamy. Add the rest of the soy milk and the oil and mix briefly until combined. Pour this into the dry ingredients and gently mix until combined. Cook like you would any other pancake and make them as large as you can handle. I used a 1/2 cup scoop per pancake and ended up with three large ones.

To assemble, I spread some Nacho Cheeze Sauce (from Ultimate Uncheese) on half the pancake, topped with soy sausage, salsa and cilantro, and folded the other half of the pancake on top. Then I added a little avocado, home fries (Veganomicon recipe) and some fresh baby spinach drizzled with a bit of flax oil and Bragg's. We ended up with a huge pile of dishes but it was worth it.

7 comments:

Melody Polakow said...

Looks and sounds delicious. I love savory pancakes.

KathyF said...

Ooh, my husband would love this. For some reason, he insists on savory for breakfast, instead of sweet, like I prefer!

aTxVegn said...

Great idea! I've had savory waffles and crepes, but never pancakes. It looks delish!

Lynn / vigilant20 said...

Looks awesome. I would have never thought to do that with pancakes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the restaurants links. We just came back from Asheville and ate at the Laughing Seed which was wonderful. I'm sorry we missed this place!

bazu said...

I will have to make those pancakes - they sound wonderful! I love sweet pancakes, why have I never expanded to savory??

VeggieGirl said...

Wow, that restaurant sounds great - how fun that you re-created this savory pancake meal at home!! I'm sure that the pile of dishes WERE indeed well worth it :0)