Monday, November 05, 2007

Smashed Cauliflower and Chickpea Gravy

I'm a little wary of my chef's knife at the moment but after not cooking much for the last several days I had to buck up and get back in the kitchen tonight. We traveled to western North Carolina this past weekend for my cousin's wedding and we got some great vegan food in Asheville on the way there and on the way back. In particular, the Laughing Seed is just plain awesome and how we wish we had a restaurant like that here.

Anyway, we had cauliflower and collards still in our fridge from before we left so we decided we better use them up tonight. We ended up with a good meal, if not anything new. I steamed the cauliflower until it was almost falling apart, then mashed it good with Earth Balance, plain soy milk, salt & pepper. That was most excellent with the Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy from Vegan with a Vengeance. On the side I did our standard thing with the collards - steamed 'em and mixed with lemon juice, agave, salt and Spike seasoning. And though I couldn't resist any longer and just lit up the 'ol credit card ordering Veganomicon, I'm sure we'll still go back to VwaV for this gravy recipe because it really is punk rock.

8 comments:

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

yr dish sounds delish.

Jon Clancy said...

Hey, I was really psyched to see you mentioning the Laughing Seed. Did you get a chance to try out Rosetta's Kitchen? I'll be there in December, and I'm hoping to get a chance to eat at and blog about both of them!

Jon's blog

PS. You guys make the most beautiful, exciting looking food!

urban vegan said...

I love resurrecting leftovers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Darlene,

I love smashed cauliflower. I usually steam it and then put it in mini chopper with soymilk, nooch, curry spicing and give it a while and it's yummy. Last week, I made a shepherd's pie and used this cauliflower instead of potatoes and you can hardly tell the difference.
Jill

Anonymous said...

I meant "give it a whirl"
J

Chris said...

sounds great Jill...

Thanks Jon! We went to Rosetta's Kitchen for Sunday brunch and it was great. LOTS of vegan options. Quite a different vibe from Laughing Seed but still good. Their tofu scramble maybe wasn't the best we've had but the southwestern vegan omelet they had on special was awesome.

VeggieGirl said...

glad that you're back in the kitchen - just be extra careful with the knives, please! :0)

I've heard a lot about the Laughing Seed restaurant - I too wish I had a place like that near me!

Wow, that dish is the epitome of comfort food - I should definitely give the Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy recipe a try! yum!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Great minds! I just made mashed cauliflower as well!