Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Baked Pasta with Pine Nut Cream

I think it was on Erik Marcus' podcast that I heard Isa talking about the Moussaka recipe in Veganomicon, and the Pine Nut Cream in particular. The Moussaka seemed a little too involved for a weeknight meal but the Pine Nut Cream was easy to make - blend 1/2 c. pine nuts and 3 Tbs. lemon juice in a food processor, add a pound of silken tofu, a teaspoon of cornstarch, a clove of garlic, a pinch of nutmeg, and salt and white pepper to taste.

More often than not, I like to make my marinara sauce from scratch, but I'll use sauce from a jar if I'm in a hurry and so it was here. I mixed the pasta with the sauce, spread it in a baking dish, topped with the pine nut cream and baked at 350° for about 40 minutes - during which time I steamed some broccoli, did some dishes, and probably got a few other things accomplished as well. And the pasta was awesome - a nice step up from plain 'ol pasta with marinara. The pine nut cream doesn't pack a huge amount of flavor, but just enough. It'd be great with lasagna too. Maybe one day soon...

5 comments:

maybepigscanfly said...

This sounds truly divine. I'm really going to have to try baked pasta sometime (other than lasagna of course).

I hope all is well with baby- and not too much morning sickness!

Chris said...

It's definitely something we'll do again...

And mama and baby are doing well. They both loved the pasta.

bazu said...

Ooooh, you had me at "pine nuts"- that sounds really good!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

yum. i was going to make a lasgana with the cashew ricotta but now i'm thinking about this pine nut cream.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Great call on using the pine nut cream to perk up pasta! I love pine nuts and am sure I would love that cream!