Monday, December 10, 2007

Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu and Corn Pudding

So many Veganomicon recipes, so little time. The tofu recipe was another one I bookmarked when we first got this book. Tofu coated with a cornmeal-chile powder mixture sounded awful good. And it was too, but I went the healthy route and baked it instead of frying. Woulda been better fried. Baked, it came out a tad on the dry side and definitely needed some kind of sauce. I cracked open a jar of peach chutney that we canned over the summer and all was good with the tofu. The sautéed chard on the side was good too, but the corn pudding... Wow! Amazingly scrumptious. I made it with frozen corn too. And now I really can't wait til summer so I can make this stuff with fresh corn. I know... I've got a long wait...

9 comments:

Cherie said...

They both look good, but now I'm really intrigued by the corn pudding. It looks neat!

VeggieGirl said...

I agree - there just isn't enough time to get to all the Veganomicon recipes!! But everything you've made here, looks terrific!! I like the idea of peach chutney as an accompaniment for the tofu - yum!!

aTxVegn said...

I have vague childhood memories of corn pudding. It's really common in the south. Your plate looks fantastic!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

yeah, i agree with veggiegirl . . . peach chutney with that tofu sounds like a great combo. and that corn pudding, DANG!

Alec said...

Oh man, every vegan food blog I read lately has so many delicious looking pictures from Veganomicon. Blllubululll (that's the sound of me drooling.) I think I know which cookbook to purchase next! That food needs to git in my belly!

springsandwells said...

mmmm! it all looks good to me... even if it was a little on the dry side. And the corn pudding looks delish. I'll definitely keep that one in mind.
:) hope darlene is doing well!
amey

vorilee said...

i can't wait to get my hands on this book. My mom recently made me quinoa muffins and they were heavenly!!





vorilee.typepad.com

Katie said...

I made that same combo as one of my first recipes to try! I fried mine and wow - I considered baking them, but I figured on the first try I wanted to try it fried. The corn pudding was the real super hit and I used frozen corn too. Amazing and such a good next day lunch. These two recipes are tagged as favorites in my book!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh yay, I was wondering about the corn pudding. I've only made one and it sucked. Need to try this....