Saturday, December 22, 2007

Pumpkin Bread

This is something I came up with after Thanksgiving when we had exactly one cup of pureed pumpkin left after making a pumpkin pie. I was inspired by Don't Get Mad Get Vegan's post on Perfect Pumpkin Pregnancy Cookies, aka Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance. Which she so named mainly because of the high amount of iron in many of the ingredients. We know and love those cookies but I had a hankering for bread so I made something similar in loaf form. I started looking through our various cookbooks for pumpkin bread recipes but I didn't quite find what I was looking for so I just started throwing ingredients together and this is what I ended up with. I've made it a couple more times since then and I keep futzing with the recipe, but it's really good regardless of the little tweaks. If you slice it thickly and get 10 servings then one serving has about 15% of the RDA for iron (though iron requirements during pregnancy are higher). A serving also has around 6% of the RDA for calcium and 1400 mg omega-3 fatty acids.


1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. applesauce
1/3 c. maple syrup
1 c. canned or fresh pureed pumpkin
2 Tbs. blackstrap molasses
1/4 c. soy milk
2 Tbs. ground flax
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Whisk together oil, sugar, applesauce, maple syrup, pumpkin, molasses, soy milk, flax, and vanilla in a bowl. In another bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add wet ingredients to the dry, mix gently until just combined then fold in the walnuts. Pour into a lightly oiled loaf pan and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

8 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

pumpkin bread is one of my favorite sweetbreads, all year round - I make a version with raisins and pecans!! delish!!

aTxVegn said...

That looks great, Chris! I love pumpkin loaves, esp. when flavored with nutmeg. I've actually got one baking right now!

bazu said...

ha- I thought "perfect pregnancy cookies" meant they would *make* you pregnant, so I thought I'd have to stay far away from those! But-phew, they're loaded with pumpkin. I can eat them- and your bread, with abandon!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

this looks so great!

Lynn / vigilant20 said...

Merry Christmas!

herbivore said...

Yummy!! I am crazy about pumpkin :) Looks so good!

Chris said...

Thanks everyone!

And not to worry Bazu... I've been eating lots of both the bread and cookies and nothing's happened to me yet ;-)

Happy Herbivore said...

mmm! sounds deliciousdmxj