Monday, December 03, 2007

Red Lentil Stew with Black Rice

We were out of town this past weekend but now we're back and were looking for something relatively quick to have for dinner. If the last post was from Dino's cookbook, this one is just Dino-inspired. Meaning I kind of winged it, but it came out good. The idea came together like this: It was cold and I wanted to make soup. I wanted something that would cook quickly so that's where the red lentils came in - simmer 'em for 15 minutes or so and they're done. I also wanted to use some of the black rice that's been sitting in our cabinet since I don't remember when.

The creative process went thusly: I heated canola oil in a big pot, threw in some cumin seeds (about 1 tsp.), then some diced onion (about 1 1/2 cups worth). Next in went minced garlic (1 clove) and ginger (about 1 Tbs.). Then more spices - about 1 tsp. ground corriander, 1/2 tsp. each ground cumin and chili powder, 1/4 tsp. turmeric and a pinch of cinnamon. Oh, and salt & pepper too. Then vegetable broth (about 2 c.) and a can of coconut milk, along with about a cup of red lentils. That simmered until the lentils were tender, then I threw in a shredded carrot and cooked another minute or two. We served it with the black rice and a bit of cilantro and boy was it good.

Speaking of good, here's a bonus shot of a Vietnamese sandwich we made last week from Veganomicon (with a little Asian-style slaw on the side). Yum!

9 comments:

jd said...

That lentil stew w/ black rice looks delicious! The color contrast is really nice.

And I love it when a recipe just kinda comes together like that. Sometimes the random stuff is really the best...

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

the lentils sounds perfect. throwing stuff together is the best. i love how the black rice pops in the picture.

Wheeler's Black Label Vegan Ice Cream said...

Lentil soup is probably the perfect soup for winter... And for some reason, I always seem to think it's going to take longer than it really does. Thanks for reminding me how easy such a nutritious food can be! -Amy@Wheeler's

VeggieGirl said...

Mmm, your "Dino-inspired" meal sounds fabulous - that's exactly how I cook my red lentils too!! In fact, I just made some last night, for dinner - I'd love to try them in this stew!!

This is a bit of a dumb question, but what does black rice taste like? I've never had it before...

Wow, and look at that Vietnamese sandwich - yum, indeed!!

Chris said...

@veggiegirl - I'd say the black rice is a little nutty and maybe a tad sweeter than say, regular brown rice.

aTxVegn said...

Your lentil soup looks and sounds great. Soups and sandwiches are always a great meal.

Veggies.... said...

This looks very good! I love the contrast of colors with the black rice and brights in the stew. How food looks is so important, isn't it?

Happy Weekend, G

Anonymous said...

The recipe was absolutely delicious. We substituted black beans and then added a potato to the simmering red lentils. Really amazing. Thank you for all of the time that you put into maintaining this blog and adding so many wonderful and diverse recipes!

Happy Herbivore! said...

this looks amazing! i love black rice