Saturday, December 15, 2007

Thanks for the plug Vegetarian Times

We got a new issue of Vegetarian Times in the mail today and as I was flipping through it I came across an article called The Veg 25, which is their "2008 hot list of fresh voices, vital news and handy resources that let you celebrate your choice, get involved, and learn more." The first thing that caught my eye was that Veganomicon was high on the list. I turned the page and found blurbs about the Compassionate Cooks podcast and Liz Lovely cookies among other things, and I thought it was cool to find lots of vegan representation in their list. Then I turned the page again and found this...First I yelled "Holy sh*#!", and scared Darlene half to death (but she was OK after she saw what I was yelling about). Then I said, "Wow, I better go update the blog." So here I am. It's really an honor to be mentioned in the same sentence as the Fatfree Vegan blog. In fact there are so many other awesome vegan blogs out there it's an honor to be mentioned at all. I'm just happy whenever veganism gets its due in the pages of Vegetarian Times. Now if only they'd get off that dairy train once and for all.

Speaking of vegan food, and Veganomicon, once again tonight's dinner recipe was courtesy of "the ultimate vegan cookbook". (I promise something good that's not from Veganomicon will come up here very soon.) When I was growing up, we'd often have a chicken stew for dinner with dumplings on top and the Leek and Bean Cassoulet with Biscuits recipe kinda sorta reminded me of that. I've had it bookmarked for a while and I finally got to it tonight. You start by making a stew with leeks, carrots, potatoes, peas and white beans, then drop biscuit dough on top and pop the whole thing in the oven to finish. We were almost out of white flour so I did the biscuits with mostly whole wheat pastry flour. I had to add quite a bit more flour than the recipe called for but in the end it turned out fine. Great comfort food for a cold rainy night.

27 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

Congratulations! I would be pinching myself from her to kingdom come had I been given the same honor. I love your blog and you are well deserving! I so hope that Santa brings me that cookbook. I am getting so tired of drooling all over my keyboard and wishing on every shooting star. :o)
Looking good!

Liz² said...

congrats! you definitely deserve it, I always love looking at your food. It's like... artful but attainable, and always tasty looking. :)

Sean Tubbs said...

Fantastic! This is great news. My site is going to be doing video features in the coming years. Maybe we can duplicate what we did in April of '06, but this time with video? Your site is an inspiration.

VeggieGirl said...

oh my goodness gracious what a wonderful recognition!!! well-deserved indeed!! oh and of COURSE that Veganomicon dish looks sensational - your presentations are always so lovely for your food!!

Lynn / vigilant20 said...

That is awesome :) Congrats!

Lesley said...

Wow--Congratulations! And what they said is very true!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations- your blog definitely deserve the recognition, it serves the vegetarian community well with its great recipes and photos that even inspire us non-veggies to try a dish or two. Thanks!

Susan G said...

That is great news. You deserve it - you have definitely inspired me and I'm sure countless others to cook great vegan food. You are first on my favorites list!

Susan

Courtney said...

Congrats! I got my veg times in the mail a few days ago--I will have to check it out!

Courtney

Anonymous said...

They are so right -- I most often think of your blog when I'm hungry at work and need inspiration for dinner. You are definitely my favorite vegan blog. Congratulations!

Chris said...

Thanks all of you for the kind words. You inspire us to keep doing this.

Sean - that sounds great. We'll see how it goes once the baby comes though ;-)

Alisa said...

Congratulations! That is so cool.

SusanV said...

OMG--this is the first I've heard of it. Wow! Let me say that it's truly an honor for MY blog to be mentioned in the same sentence as YOURS. Eat Air was one of the first vegan blogs on the internet, one of the first two that I read, so I've always looked up to you. You totally deserve to be singled out. What a rush!

(And I echo your thoughts about VT's dairy train; it's why I no longer subscribe.)

Chris said...

Thank you so much Susan.

We stopped subscribing for a while too but started again recently when we got it for really cheap. It's been a mixed bag so far, but in this new issue a majority of the recipes are vegan and most of the ones that aren't can be easily veganized. Would be nice if they're going more in that direction but we'll have to wait and see.

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

I saw this last night as i was perusing my VT copy.
I was grinning ear to ear, thinking surely, you guys knew about this...how great that you were surprised!
You definitely deserve the accolade. Yours is, honestly, one of the first vegan blogs i would visit daily and was totally inspired to start my own.
Congrats!
oh, and can't wait to hear the news in Jan! ;)

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

too cool!

springsandwells said...

Hi Chris!
Wow! How fun to get tagged by Veg Times! Ha!

Yes, I do still have your address... in fact, your book is already in the mail! I was hoping to surprise you :)

It's so super fun that you've made a cookbook too! I'd love to have a copy of your version. :)

SusanV said...

Well, I'm definitely going to have to pick up a copy of this month's issue. I used to love VT back when I first became a vegetarian; they used to be pretty vegan-centric. Maybe they're coming around again.

Chris, would it be OK with you if I used your image of the article? I was thinking of writing about it on my blog later today.

Anonymous said...

Well, congratulations. Now you're famous, and I agree with Vegetarian Times; I enjoy your blog, too.

Candice (from D.C.)

Chris said...

You most certainly can Susan.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Congratulations :o)

And great blog!

Bianca said...

Congrats!!!!!!! That's so awesome. I haven't even gotten my Veg Times in yet, but I'll turn straight to the Veg 25 when I do.

SaraJane said...

Congrats on the mention! That's so exciting. :D

And oh, that cassoulet - I only just made it a couple of weeks ago and already I want to make it again.

selina said...

congrats on the mention! i just read my veg times & thats why I am here!

Melody Polakow said...

Wow! That is awesome!! Seriously... to be mentioned in Vegetarian Times is fabulous!

Way to go!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh I saw that flipping through Veg Times yesterday as well... congrats!! So well-deserved.

And don't worry, I think we're all lost in the pages of V-con... but must get to all the other wonderful cookbooks out there (so many new ones!)

heidilaide said...

Saw the plug in vegetarian times and then noticed your article about it. I just wanted to point out your comment about them getting off their "dairy train." Most Vegans give off an air of superiority to Vegetarians, but when in fact... both should be viewing their lifestyles as saving lives. Vegan lifestyle is easier to maintain with certain backgrounds and support... Anyways, I try to be Vegan as much as possible but would hope you don't advocate Vegetarian Times --> Vegan Times.