Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Eat, Drink and Be Vegan

Our cookbook budget ran out before we got a copy of Dreena Burton's latest, but we're fortunate to have quite a nice library system here and when we asked the library to buy a copy they did. So now we need to try whatever recipes we can before the book is due back in three weeks. We started with the Broccoli Cashew Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry - kind of a mouthful but an apt description. We didn't have the bell pepper called for in the recipe but we did have some leftover red cabbage so we used that instead. You could really use any vegetables because the sauce is where it's at. Lots of agave, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, and of course soy sauce made it perfect for drowning our vegetables and brown rice.

Last night we made the Lemon Garlic Pasta, and a big salad with Creamy Basil Dressing started the meal. I decided neither of those looked extremely interesting (or maybe I was just in too much of a hurry to eat), so there's no picture, but the pasta was delicious and quick to prepare and the dressing was excellent as well and a nice change up from the standard vinaigrette.

Tonight for dinner we had the Savory French Lentils, also a snap to prepare, and very tasty with a simple baked sweet potato on the side and a small salad for starters. Next time I'd use less water in the lentils but that's an easy adjustment.

Another recipe we tried that has been great for snacking on the last few days is the Super Charge Me Cookies. So I think that's 5 recipes and 5 winners so far - I imagine we'll have to pick up our own copy of this book one day soon but for now we're enjoying the borrowed copy.

Switching gears now for a bonus picture, here's something from My Sweet Vegan that I made for Darlene's birthday over the weekend - Mini Icebox Cheesecakes! Our little heart pans worked perfectly in place of a springform pan for this recipe. I also couldn't find good vegan graham crackers so I did the crust with walnuts and quick oats, and we put the leftover blueberry sauce and tofu cream from our pancake breakfast on top. This isn't the best winter time dessert since it's frozen, but still it was quite a treat.

18 comments:

Jan Scholl said...

dumb question maybe-but is there a way to make broccolli look better? when I steam it, it retains so much more color but when I mix it in something, it gets all brownish looking even without sauce. I guess I prefer it raw because of this, (the same goes for asparagus for the same reason, so aside from dipping it in food coloring, got any ideas? After not eating for weeks, I am finally getting some appitite back and really need something besides toast and soup. this looks yummy. Flu season sucks.

Romina said...

That stirfry is by far one of my favorite all-time recipes!

Jennifer said...

That cake looks delicious. And it is very pretty too, what a nice treat. It looks like you have found Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan to be a worthwhile cookbook?

I am starting my own collection of vegan cookbooks and thus far only have Veganomicon (which is awesome), but would like to expand some more. I am interested in getting one of Dreena's books, but am just not sure where to start.

Veg-a-Nut said...

YOu are so lucky to have a great library. I never thought to ask our library. I am going today so I think I shall request a copy be bought. Your food looks so delicious!

Chris said...

Jan - the more it cooks, especially in a sauce like this, the more color it loses. The best thing to do would be to steam it and add it to the plate only when you serve it.

Agreed romina!

We like all of Dreena's books Jennifer - you might as well start with the new one. Most of Dreena's recipes tend to be a little more health conscious but that's a good thing. For when we're in more of a hurry we've been using Quick Fix Vegetarian a lot too (which is actually all vegan), and we still love Vegan with a Vengeance.

good luck veg-a-nut! I hope they do it!

Vegan_Noodle said...

That's awesome that your library got a copy of ED&BV! Make sure you make the tamari roasted chickpeas (so addictive), super charge me cookies, and the sweet potato lentil chili... those have been my faves so far.
That little hear cheesecake is so adorable...

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

you've reminded me that I need to dive back into ED&BV. i haven't made a Dreena recipe we haven't loved yet!

and My Sweet Vegan was a splurge for me, but I've yet to make anything from it. I'm so afraid that once I start? I won't stop! ;)

Veggies.... said...

The 'cheese' cake looks amazing!!!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

the stir fry sace sounds great.

Jennifer said...

That stir-fry looks so good. I have seen many tasty looking dishes from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan, so I think that is going to be the next (my second, woohooo) vegan cookbook.

And that vegan cheesecake looks wonderful, and its cute too! What a lucky birthday girl.

I have a bit of an odd question for you all. I am new to your blog (love it by the way), but notice that you like a challenge of veganizing things one would think could never be veganized. Have you ever tried to veganize a gyro? My partner loves those (he's an omni), but I haven't been able to come up with a way to make something veganized at home (I WILL NOT cook meat).

Chris said...

That's something I haven't tried Jennifer but my guess is that the best bet would be to make seitan with the same seasonings that would go into the meat. If you're not up for making your own seitan you could buy some in the store and marinate it. I think there's also a yogurt based sauce involved, in which case you can use soy yogurt.

Good luck!

Cakespy said...

It all looks wonderful, but the cake was my favorite part! How yummy and absolutely decadent-looking.

Blue Heron Zen Buddhist Centre said...

Jan Scholl, I take a page from Vietnamese cooking. Bring water to a boil, drop in the brocolli (asparagus, anything), bring back to a boil. Leave no longer than 2 minutes. Take it out - it isn't mushy, and is bright green. And, the cooking water makes a great, healthy drink if you let it cool and add some lemon or lime juice to it.

VeggieGirl said...

I love both ED&BV and My Sweet Vegan so much - those are really the only cookbooks I'm using these days (aside from my raw "cook"books)!! I made that "cheesecake" a while ago, and topped it with black cherries - fabulous :0)

exercisingfaith said...

Wow! I am so excited to have stumbled upon your blog because I am jump starting myself back into my health routine not because it is the new year or anything corny like that - but just because I want to be the healthiest person I can be.
I can't wait to go back and read all of your posts - and I love the pics that you have posted. I feel like I am going to learn a lot from your page. Thansk!

Courtney said...

It sounds like you have a great library system! I have asked mine to order all of Dreena's books (they don't have any), and they have yet to do so....

Courtney

Christine said...

I was a naughty little monkey and while I was Christmas shopping back in December, I bought myself a present: ED&BV. I've been enjoying it too, though somehow I haven't made any of the same recipes as you! I am putting the tamari chickpea spread on everything in sight though :)

Kathy in MD said...

What's the recipe for the walnut/oat crust???