Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

We've been in Virginia long enough now that we figured we should adhere to the Southern tradition of eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. Such a meal is supposed to bring good luck and/or financial success in the year ahead and we certainly could use a bit of both. We didn't do the traditional Hoppin' John, opting instead to just cook the black-eyed peas in vegetable broth with onions and carrots and other yumminess. And speaking of yum, we also had some excellent cornbread and collard greens on the side.

Working backwards now, for breakfast this morning were the Zesty Cranberry Crumb Muffins from My Sweet Vegan. Only instead of cranberries we used dried cherries and instead of orange juice and zest we used some beautiful tangerines sent to us by my parents in Florida. I'll have to agree with Hannah that the streusel topping just makes everything better.

And backing up further, for our New Year's Eve dinner we had the White Bean Tartines from the latest issue of Vegetarian Times. They were a snap to throw together and they looked quite festive to boot. We used baby spinach instead of watercress and red cabbage instead of red onion. Those two items mixed with roasted red pepper went on top of a white bean/garlic/lemon juice puree, and it all went on top of toasted baguette slices.


We hope everyone out there has a great 2008! We're certainly looking forward to it ;-)

13 comments:

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

Happy New Year!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

The tartines are gorgeous! Happy New Year!

Holler said...

Happy New Year!
Those muffins look real yummy!

Cherie said...

Those muffins look excellent! I think part of the reason I love the apple pie crumb cake muffins from VWaV so much is the topping. Yum!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I'm sure you both are definitely looking forward to 2008!! New baby!! So exciting...
I too followed the southern tradition of black-eyed peas on New Years day. Wish I had made me some cornbread too!!
Best of luck in the New Year!

VeggieGirl said...

Happy belated new year!! :0)

Those the recipe for the Zesty Cranberry Crumb Muffins was the second recipe EVER that I tried from My Sweet Vegan - they're quite scrumptious!! Your "traditional Southern meal" for New Year's look great (I'm keen on black-eyed peas and leafy greens), as do the tartines!! yum!!

Here's to fabulous 2008 to both of you (and the little one on the way)!!

Jennifer said...

It all looks so good! I am pretty new to the whole food blog thing, and am loving it. I am getting backed up with recipes I want to try.

Thanks for putting so many great recipes out there, I will probably be linking to some of them on my blog as I try them.

Anonymous said...

The sandwiches look delicious. I have a vegan recipe blog - add me to your blog roll if you like. Thanks!
http://raspberry.lemonsnowcone.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey, wow, good job on your blog! Love the vegan blog and gonna be reading and checking out all the recipes and vegetarian advice...

Thanks,

A Vegan Food Fanatic

aTxVegn said...

Happy New Year, Chris & Darlene! Your food does look festive and I'm glad you had your blackeyed peas on New Year's Day.

Chris, I am loving my copy of Alternative Vegan! I can't eat soy/tofu and I'm crazy for Indian food, so it's perfect for me.

Veg-a-Nut said...

Happy New Year to both of you! We too stuck with tradition :o).
Somethings never change. Your peas look cooked to perfection.

Johanna3 said...

Happy new year!!!

yum the food looks so good.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Yay! I did black-eyed peas too. So glad I'm not as unusual as my family seems to think! They have never heard of the New Years black eyed pea tradition...