Monday, January 21, 2008

Moros y Cristianos

For those of us in the good 'ol U.S. of A. this might also be called Cuban black beans and rice. I got the idea from the recent Compassionate Cooks podcast episode about beans. I didn't write down the recipe or even measure anything but if you Google moros y cristianos recipe you'll find a lot of ideas from which to choose. Often with beans and rice, the two are cooked separately. That is, some sort of bean dish is served on top of cooked rice. With this dish the beans and rice are cooked together.

I started by cooking onion and bell pepper in olive oil. Then I added garlic, cumin, oregano and a bay leaf. Next in went vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes and brown rice. That came to a boil and then I covered it and simmered until the rice was almost done. In the last 5-10 minutes of cooking the rice I added cooked black beans and a couple tablespoons of red wine vinegar (plus salt & pepper). We served it topped with avocado, scallions and hot sauce.

Speaking of avocado - how's this for a ripoff:
I bought this nice looking avocado then when I sliced it open... Look at the size of that pit! There was enough avocado flesh to accent our beans and rice nicely but I'm glad I didn't plan on making guacamole out of this thing because there wouldn't have been very much.

15 comments:

Romina said...

WOW! That is a HUGE pit. And I guess there's really no way to know.

That avocado must really want to reproduce...

Tracy said...

Holy Crap, Batman! You could seriously go bowling with that thing.

Tim said...

WOW...I think you've found yourself a good cueball.

VeggieGirl said...

that is by far the LARGEST avocado pit I have ever seen!! that's terrible!! there isn't even half an avocado (the edible part) in there!!

Veggies.... said...

Wow, that is quite a pit! I love avocados in anything (finding it hard to find CA avocados anymore though, which we prefer, certified organic type). I bet that pit would grow quite a tree! Ive seen those too, grown at home, really amazing results at times.

Kristine said...

hehehe, I have had that happen to me before, too. It's always a little sad, but hey, any excuse to buy another avacado! I agree with Tracy, you caould make it into a bwoling ball. Imagine a team of people obsessed with food drinking vegan beer and bowling with avacado pits...hehe.

Kristine said...

Okay, clearly I'm laughing and can't spell. Sorry about that!

bazu said...

That avocado is hilarious! I've seen teeny tiny pits before, but never ginormous ones!

Veg-a-Nut said...

I agree! What a rip off! I have never seen such a large pit. I am glad you had enough for that yummy dish!

Chris said...

Thanks for all the ideas for the avocado pit - you're all so creative! Maybe we'll dig it out of the compost pile and go bowling ;-)

aTxVegn said...

I love freaky produce!

funwithyourfood said...

LOL that avocado is hilarious!!!

Teddy

adwoa said...

even before i read the accompanying text, the sight of that avocado pit made me laugh out loud... i would have been so disappointed! i don't think there's any way to know beforehand, though, more's the pity.

Nathan said...

Pretty close to the real deal but not very authentic, for good Moros don't use canned black beans because it is important to cook the beans by boiling in lots of water and using the black bean liquid to cook the rice so it produces the color this dish is suppose to have.

I am of Cuban heritage and my family makes "Moros y Cristianos" often. If you are interested in how it's really done please take a look at my recipe in my blog:

http://nathanscomida.blogspot.com/2008/07/moros-y-cristianos-rice-steamed-in-with.html

Also simply serving black beans on top of rice is not what we think of or expect when we here "Moros" when served like that it's a simple "Frijoles Negros Con Arroz" (black beans with rice)

Chris said...

Thanks for the tip Nathan. I believe I did use cooked beans as opposed to canned but saving the cooking water is something I hadn't thought of.