Thursday, January 24, 2008

Potato Pancakes

This past year we did a bit of canning - mostly pickles and jam. We ended up with some peach and strawberry jam and enough apple jam that we brought some to my parents when we saw them a couple months ago. But what does this have to do with pancakes? Well I talked to my mom recently and she told me they had just finished up the apple jam with some potato pancakes my dad made for dinner. That sounded like a good idea so I filed it away and took it out last night.

I winged it on the pancake recipe and they came out pretty good but they could've been better. I found it a little tricky to get just the right consistency in the batter. Too thin and the pancakes are all over the place but too thick and they don't cook all the way through. Here's what I settled on for the batter if you want to experiment - your results may vary depending on the consistency of your mashed potatoes:

1 c. mashed potatoes
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. + 1 Tbs. rice milk
2 Tbs. canola oil
pinch salt

We served these with peach jam, greens and Tamari-Roasted Chickpeas from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. The chickpeas were an afterthought but they were super quick to make and super tasty to eat. If you have this book and you have yet to try this recipe, go do it now! I'd recommend you take Dreena's suggestion and use parchment paper on your baking sheet. I was lazy and didn't bother with the parchment and I ended up with a baked-on mess on the baking sheet (which fortunately came off after a good soaking). Either way, them's some good chickpeas!

7 comments:

Romina said...

That's a very neat idea... potato pancakes. I would've never thought of it! Beautiful. =)

Matt said...

Potato pancakes are so delicious. We use to make them atleast once every year.

Kristen said...

I'll be darned! I've never heard of using mashed potatoes for potato pancakes. Interesting idea!

Anonymous said...

I really like the recipe for potato pancakes (latkes) in The Voluptous Vegan -- give it a try.

VeggieGirl said...

what a delectable way to enjoy that jam!! the potato pancakes look wonderful, as do the roasted chickpeas (and greens!! my favorite!!)

Liz² said...

ooh, I like that concept a lot - it sounds even tastier than grated latkes, at least to me. And I haven't tried the chickpeas yet! I think I'm losing vegan points by the second. :p

Virginie said...

I like scottish potatoes pancakes, but always burn them too much...