Sunday, January 06, 2008

Pumpkin Baked Ziti

I forget now where I've seen it, but somewhere in the blogosphere there was a post (or maybe several posts) about the Pumpkin Baked Ziti with Caramelized Onions and Sage Crumb Topping from Veganomicon. So that recipe caught my eye as I was poking around the other day trying to come up with dinner ideas. It was a little involved, but not overly so and it was so worth it. We love pasta, especially baked pasta, and this recipe takes things up to another level. The Cashew Ricotta is good in its own right, and adding pumpkin and a few other choice ingredients brings the yum-factor up even more. But the pièce de résistance was the topping: homemade bread crumbs mixed with walnuts, margarine, sage, oregano and paprika. Quite a step up from the standard pasta marinara topped with plain bread crumbs.

I made the bread crumbs for the pasta by grinding up part of a large baguette, but what to do with the rest of the baguette? I already posted about French toast with Chocoreale, but I decided what's even better that that is French toast with Chocoreale and tangerines.

9 comments:

Patience_Crabstick said...

Wow, that looks delicious. I'm going to try making it tonight.

VeggieGirl said...

I too have seen that pumpkin-baked-ziti recipe from Veganomicon in the blogging world, quite a few times - looks incredible!!

speaking of incredible, the French toast with Chocoreale & tangerines?? brilliant!!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh my, that french toast sounds fabulous!

b36Kitchen said...

i wish i was eating your french toast right now!

i make the pumpkin baked ziti all the time. i love it and it freezes well!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh yes, that ziti is definitely worth it. I think next time I will go the homemade bread crumbs route. After all, how could I resist with a bonus of french toast, chocoreale (if I ever get a hold of some), and tangerines?

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

i'm a huge fan of bread crumbs on pasta. i finally got some pumpkin just for this pasta dish.

ohsodelish! said...

wow wonderful!! i'm so going to cook this...everything looks so beautiful as well as delicious!h

aTxVegn said...

Do you think we'll ever cook our way through Vcon? I hope so! The french toast is genius!

Happy Herbivore! said...

I am making this tonight..your picture sold the recipe!