Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Reading (and listening)

In a departure from normal I won't talk about a specific meal but I will offer you a few links I've found interesting. (Lately we've been eating a lot of things we've already posted about - pasta, soups, maybe spring rolls tonight.)

So first up is this article in the New York Times about the world's (and especially the United States') insatiable appetite for meat. Bittman doesn't necessarily advocate a vegan diet but I think he at least makes a convincing argument for reducing meat consumption.

I've spent most of this weekend painting what will be our baby's room and while I was painting this morning I listened to the latest Compassionate Cooks podcast, "In Defense of Chickens". Coleen always makes a convincing argument for eliminating meat and dairy consumption and she certainly does so in this episode. The most haunting argument is her reading excerpts from the blog of the late activist Virgil Butler, who was a former Tyson slaughterhouse worker before he became an outspoken activist against factory farming. This post is just a sampling but it's not for the faint of heart.

I'll leave you with something a lot less intense. A while ago Erik Marcus pointed out this article about making your own vanilla extract and I think we're about to order some vanilla beans and give it a shot. A little over a year ago we posted about splurging on vanilla beans when we won a gift card to Whole Foods. We had no idea then that you could buy vanilla beans on-line that are actually somewhat affordable. For about what we paid for those two lonely vanilla beans you can get a quarter pound (about 30 beans) from one of the ebay sellers linked to in the article. If we do get some we'll let you know how it goes.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Looking forward to hearing about how you use vanilla beans. One year for Christmas I gave friends bottles of rum in which I had soaked a split vanilla bean for about a month.

Jenny said...

Thanks for these links. I hope you don't mind, but I am also going to use the link to the NY Times article. I have a few non-vegans (like my family) who read my blog, and I thought it might be helpful to them to at least consider eating vegetarian sometimes!

Chris said...

sound yummy amy...

go for it jenny - that's partly the reason I posted the link too ;-)

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

I LOVED that article in the NYT. I read it last night & was SO excited! Especially because the author was not even a vegetarian. Unfortunately, I think the public at large takes "veg issues" more seriously if they come from a non-veg; less bias, maybe? More relatable? Whatever the reason, I was so happy about that article! I sent it to everyone I knew right away... Because I'm pushy. I can't help it!

VeggieGirl said...

wow, that "Re-thinking the Meat-Guzzler" article by Bittman is ESPECIALLY interesting - thanks for sharing the links to ALL the articles!!

bazu said...

thank you for the vanilla heads-up! I've never worked with vanilla pods, but am intrigued by the idea of some budget-friendly (or friendlier) ones!

Rural Vegan said...

Please do let us know how your vanilla experiment goes. I always dismissed buying whole beans after watching countless episodes of Martha throwing $200 worth of beans into a single cookie recipe. But if they can be found at reasonable prices, I could get behind that!

Chris said...

In fact one of the reasons for the vanilla experiment is that I think it will ultimately save us money in buying vanilla extract. We'll see how it goes...

Mark Xander said...

Hi there! I am such a fan of your blog. I am vegan too and this is such a great place to find interesting food ideas. :)

We need your voice so keep up the good work! :)

Anyways, I made a short film about the plight of animals in fur farms, circuses, and the like.

Please do check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wup6a5P2dKs

Hugs,

Mark

Vegan_Noodle said...

Reminds me I need to catch up on my podcasts! I love Colleen's, something about her voice is so soothing.
Is your baby's room all painted and ready? Exciting time!

the vegan blog tracker said...

I look forward to seeing how it goes for you with making your own vanilla extract! Nowadays, "we" tend to think that only certain things can come from a store. The idea that I could make my own extracts never entered my mind.