Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tangerine Sesame Tempeh

Here's another winner from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan - with a little change up. The recipe in the book is Orange Sesame Tofu, but instead of orange juice and zest we used up the last of the Florida tangerines my parents sent. And as the title suggests we used tempeh instead of tofu. The beauty of this recipe is in how quickly it comes together. Just throw the tofu or tempeh in with some marinade ingredients, then you can bake it immediately or wait a while. When you're ready to bake it just pop the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes or so and out comes a delicious glaze (thanks to the arrowroot or cornstarch in the marinade). Sprinkle some sesame seeds and scallions on top and that's it. A little kale on the side was good in our case.

8 comments:

Sam said...

That looks so good! I was a big fan of orange chicken back before I was vegan, and yours looks very similar! Now I've got a craving...

Anardana said...

Yum! I made this tonight, but with tofu.

Anke said...

I've ordered the book ith amazon and I can't wait for it to arrive... this dish looks super-yummy :-)

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

i actually starting singing, out loud, "yumyumyumyumyumyum!"

Valerie said...

I've been vegetarian for 34 years, and recently leaning toward a more vegan diet. I've eaten tempeh maybe twice. Once in a restaurant - it was delicious; once I made it myself - it was awful. Ever since then, I've been hesitant to try preparing it again. I recall the tempeh I bought was frozen, but no real instructions on the package. Any suggestions you have to help me overcome this reticence would be appreciated. I'd like to try your recipe - it looks delicious and the flavours you describe are my favourites.

Chris said...

Here's one idea Valerie.

Here's another.

Or just find any vegan cookbook that has tempeh or tofu recipes in it. Almost any tofu recipe that requires marinating and baking or frying can be adapted to use tempeh as I've done here.

Jennifer said...

This might be just the way to try out tempeh again. I tried the Spicy Tempeh Nori Rolls from Veganomicon and all I could find at the store was Flax Tempeh. Needless to say, I'm not sure that this was how the rolls were supposed to taste.

I think once I get my hands on some plain tempeh that this will be the way to try it!

Valerie said...

Thanks for writing about the recipe. Made it last weekend and blogged about it! I guess blogger doesn't do pingbacks. I also love tempeh so chose to make it with that instead of tofu.