Sunday, February 17, 2008

Baby Shower!

We've been looking forward to this day for quite a while. Darlene's sister organized a baby shower for us and today was the big day. The idea seemed a little odd at first but we decided to have it at our house and to make all the food ourselves. We thought about restaurants or various catering options but this was a way to ensure we had plenty of good vegan food prepared just how we like it. It was a lot of cooking but worth it in the end. Darlene started making a few things on Thursday and Friday, then yesterday we spent at least half the day cooking, and finally we had a big blitz this morning to finish everything up. I had a slight panic in the last 15 minutes or so trying to finish everything up on time but otherwise it was all very smooth (oh, except for when I was making cupcake frosting and I microwaved the chocolate chips too long and burnt them... but we had more). Menu and photos from the big event are below. (The food pictures were taken hastily just as the first guests were arriving in low light with a flash so they're not exactly fine art quality...)

- Orange Sesame Tofu Lollipops - recipe from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan; presentation idea from What the Hell Does a Vegan Eat Anyway.
- Barbecued Tempeh - very simple - Trader Joe's barbecue sauce poured over tempeh cubes and baked.
- Chickpea Balls with Marinara - sort of a cross between the Chickpea Cutlets and Spaghetti and Beanballs recipes from Veganomicon.


- Puff Pastry Turnovers with Tofu and Spinach - the Spanakopita filling from Vegan with a Vengeance wrapped with puff pastry.

Spring Rolls with Apricot Dipping Sauce


Artichoke Dip, Kalamata Walnut Tapenade (from Vive le Vegan), Mushroom Caviar (like what we did for the roulade filling last Thanksgiving). We had crackers and various breads with these.

Tamari Almonds, Chili Lime Cashews (both store-bought), Roasted Pepitas (from Vegan Lunch Box)

Chocolate and Vanilla Cupcakes (from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)


The punch (not pictured) was quite tasty and very easy - mix 2 quarts each pineapple juice and water, then add a cup each simple syrup and lime juice and throw in a couple of sliced limes.


Here are the organizers of this shindig, Darlene's sister Kristen and her husband Ryan.


Darlene enjoying some good food.


And a couple shots of the two of us opening some of many wonderful gifts we received.



In all it was a great day - lots of good food, lots of good friends and lots of beautiful gifts for our baby boy on the way.

29 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Wow, I need to come to one of YOUR parties! I hope you had a fabulous day!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Oh how cool! I am so impressed with all the pretty goodies.

And I love Baby Showers, what a neat time for you guys, I hope you got lots of wonderful, useful things.

Eesh said...

I wanted to invite some friends over to hang out but they're all omnis and I wasn't sure what to make for them that they would find appealing and that would do justice to my vegan cooking. But wow, you've just given me some great inspiration and ideas! I just love the lollipop idea!

Congratulations on your baby boy!

Emmie said...

What a wonderful party! The food looks great and so do the two of you. If I ever get pregnant I want a babyshower like that. Wow!

Melody Polakow said...

Wow!! Your feast looks amazing... but I am even more excited to see both of you! Darlene, you are gorgeous!!! and you both look so happy. What a wonderful day to celebrate..

ratherbereading said...

Wow, that all looks so delicious. And I love, love, LOVE your green door! Congrats on the baby.

Chris said...

Thank you everyone!

eesh - probably the best compliment we got was when someone who had no idea what vegan means tell me "If this is what vegan food is I could eat it all the time."

Susan G said...

What a fabulous spread! It would be so wonderful to go to a party where I could eat everything (or should I say anything!)

Baby showers are the best - you both look wonderful! Enjoy!

Susan

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh my goodness what an amazing shower!! So many yummies, your guests must have been so overwhelmed.
Darlene looks beautiful and so happy! You two are so cute opening gifts. Thanks for sharing your shower with us!

trina said...

Congratulations! What a fun day! The food all looks perfect! (I know that's really too many exclamation points, but a baby shower with all that good food is just that sort of event.)

aTxVegn said...

You two are so cute and look like you're having such a great time. You did an amazing job on the party food, but next time relax and let someone else take care of it. Before long you'll be busy busy busy!

Courtney said...

Happy baby shower! It looks like a fabulous event with delicious food!

Courtney

pleasantly plump vegan said...

wow! all of that food looks great! what a cool baby shower.

Veg-a-Nut said...

What a wonderful baby shower! Your menu looks so good. You both look so happy. congrats!

MIchael Palka said...

I have visited your site it has given me much information which i am not known till now.Its really nice site to visit.

VeggieGirl said...

aww, what a lovely baby shower affair!! the food looks MARVELOUS!!

Bianca said...

You guys went all out! If I attended a shower and saw that lovely all-vegan spread, I would have just died right there!

T said...

Wow, that party looks amazing! Those tofu lollipops are such perfect party food. YUM

Johanna3 said...

great party!!!!

im so happy for both of you.

Veggies.... said...

What a wonderful 'feel good' post! Sounds like a good time was had by all. You and Darlene looks so good, you're going to be amazing parents, I can just tell!!!

Food photos were great too, well done.

Isil Simsek said...

I am also impressed with your party, how lucky are your friends ;)

Chris said...

Thank you all for the wonderful comments! We did have a great time and we're still enjoying the food!

DJ said...

The food looks amazing - good luck with your baby boy, relish your few remaining moments of peace!

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

What a spread! Everything looks amazing. I was two seconds away from throwing my own baby shower (so many ideas for cool foods and decorations!) when a great friend hijacked it and now it'll all be a big vegan surprise! yay!

so happy for you both!

jd said...

Wow - that looks like a wonderful baby shower!

I'm sure it was fantastic to celebrate with great friends/family & all of that delicious vegan food :)

Congratulations & best of luck to you both (& to the little one on the way)!

kindkitchen said...

Now THAT'S a baby shower! What an exciting time in your lives...

Jillian of Bitchin' Vegan Kitchen said...

Congrats!

The food looks amazing as always and you two are so adorable!

bazu said...

Happy baby shower to you! And I know you guys handily out-perform any restaurant or caterer out there...

domingosiete said...

wow! I loved your menu and congratulations on your vegan baby! I just had a vegan pregnancy and my baby Sofia Cielo is now 5 months old.