Saturday, February 09, 2008

Dr. Ho's Humble Pie

This dates to last weekend but better late than never right? I wanted to get this up on our restaurant round up. Dr. Ho's Humble Pie is an eclectic pizza joint south of Charlottesville near the town of North Garden. We read a review of this place several months ago where we saw that you can get tofu on your pizza. We never made it there since it's a little out of the way, but last weekend we were traveling home from points south and we were passing right by Dr. Ho's at dinner time. And you can indeed get tofu on your pizza. They only have one vegan-friendly special but it's a good one. The Buddha is overloaded with veggies and has no cheese but has tofu instead. This thing was smothered with all the veggies - spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, olives, roasted garlic, pineapple (I know, that's a fruit... but good on a pizza!). They use silken tofu which seemed to be a good choice for pizza, and the crust was thin and crispy and delicious. The lack of cheese meant the toppings were falling all over the place but that was a small price to pay for such a good (and vegan) pizza.

9 comments:

Romina said...

Ooh. Very beautiful pizza. It looks like a lot of effort was put into making it. I have never thought of putting tofu on pizza. It seems strange, but I'm sure it tasted delicious. And pineapple? I love it on pizza! Who says there need to be rules? hehe.

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

looks great!

calypso72 said...

Have you been to Mellow Mushroom? They'll do a cheeseless veggie or mega-veggie pizza and you can add tempeh. They also have a tofu hoagie. We love that place.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Mmmm, pizza. I love pineapple on my pizza too. Never thought to use silken tofu on a pizza.... looks like a great coincidence that yall were passing by at dinnertime!

Billy said...

Wow, you can get vegan pizza in that area?! Good to know if I'm ever back on the east coast. Thanks.

Billy
Vegan Talk

Darlene said...

Indeed we have been to mellow mushroom calypso. we always get the tempeh hoagie though. last time we were there they said they just got vegan cheese so we've been meaning to check that out.

Jenny said...

That looks delicious! It makes me want pizza really bad!

Hillary said...

It's so purrrrdy, and pineapple pizza is what's up. My favorite vegan pizza is from Pizza Fusion. Their organic vegan pizzas are made with Follow Your Heart Soy Mozz. And I mean I've had some gross vegan cheese..but they have actually mastered the art that is a good vegan cheese pizza...www.pizzafusion.com

Bianca said...

I LOVE pizza. That was the one thing that held me back from going vegan for months before I made the plunge 3 years ago....I wish we had a pizza joint here that served vegan pizza. Of course, you can get cheese left off anywhere, but it's extra special when it has tofu on it.