Monday, February 25, 2008

NYC and More

We're back from the big city and there's only so much you can do in a day and a half but we did get some awesome food while we were there. We ended up staying within walking distance of the Upper West Side apartment of Darlene's aunt and uncle where we stayed but we still found plenty to do (and eat). It snowed 6" the day we got there and it was a little treacherous walking around but we did make it to Cafe Blossom for a wonderful lunch and later to the Museum of Natural History. For those of us who don't have any vegan restaurants nearby it's a little overwhelming to be staring at a menu where everything there is fair game for us to order. But after much hand wringing we settled on the Mixed Mushroom Pesto Pasta for Darlene and the Cajun Seitan Sandwich for me. Both were excellent, though the hastily-taken pictures don't do either plate justice. The sweet potato fries that came with my sandwich were especially scrumptious.


The next day we ended up going back to Cafe Blossom for lunch after the Ethiopian restaurant we went looking for turned out to not be there anymore. This time I had what I think was called the Harvest Casserole - a big slab of polenta in a red pepper sauce topped with a tofu spread and lots of fresh veggies. Despite the fact that the polenta wasn't quite heated through all the way it was still fabulous. And Darlene's Portobello Panini was excellent too - she especially enjoyed the delicious crusty bread. (The picture I took of my polenta dish turned out even worse than the ones above so I've unfortunately left it out.)

Later that day we went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and quite enjoyed the Egyptian art in particular, as well as the fashion exhibit and the relatively new (since we were last there some 15 years ago) modern art wing. Here we are in front of the Temple of Dendur - quite an impressive structure considering it was built over 2,000 years ago.

We left the Met right around dinner time and headed over to Gobo. At first I really wanted to go to Candle 79 but we had already had somewhat similar food at Cafe Blossom (twice), and Gobo seemed slightly less expensive and like something a little different. It has a much more Asian flair and though not completely vegan, our server was happy to inform us which dishes on the menu were not vegan (as it turned out, only 2 dishes with casein-containing soy cheese and one with a honey-containing sauce). The lighting was very low and I don't have pictures from here either but the food was outstanding and I think I'd give it a slight nod over Cafe Blossom. They have a number of appetizers and "small plates" so you can potentially sample a number of different things. We ended up sharing the spinach dumplings, lettuce wraps and tofu with kale and black bean sauce (and a little bit of the grilled oyster mushrooms that Darlene's uncle had). I don't know how many different ways I can say YUM! Fabulous. Delectable. Delicious. etc., etc.

On the way home today we were passing through the DC area around lunch time and we stopped at one of our standbys in that area for lunch, Woodlands. We don't have a South Indian restaurant around here any more so it's a treat when we travel somewhere we can get a monster masala dosa like this.

I wish we had time during our trip to see more sights and sample more vegan food but it was fun while it lasted.

9 comments:

Ianqui said...

Hah! I live in NYC and I didn't know about Blossom Cafe! (I've been to Gobo several times, though.) If you ever come back, there are even more vegan places in Greenwich Village--Angelica Kitchen and Counter (you'd like these ones), Pukk, Red Bamboo, Vegetarian's Paradise II, and so on!

Chris said...

We do need to make it back and check out all the cool places in the Village and elsewhere downtown. Not sure when that'll happen with a baby on the way but maybe we can swing it once things settle down a bit after he's born.

pleasantly plump vegan said...

sounds like such a fun trip

Anonymous said...

Red Bamboo is really out of sight. I always make a point to get there when I'm in NY...

Vegan_Noodle said...

Sounds like a wonderful quick trip!! I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed at vegan restaurants when you don't usually get to frequent them. Food looks good!

Veggie Cookster said...

Sounds like a GREAT trip... and good food to boot! :)

bazu said...

How fun for you guys! I was in NYC recently too, but left the day before the big snow fell!
Cafe Blossom sounds wonderful- I just ate at Blossom for the first time last week too, so I know your food must have been excellent.

VeggieGirl said...

this post is wonderful - I will be in NYC in late-March, so it's always great to read about fellow bloggers' adventures with vegan-dining in other cities :0)

Bianca said...

Yea! Isn't overwhelming staring a menu in a vegan restaurant?! In Memphis (where I live), there's not one single purely vegan restaurant (a few veg-friendly ones, but only 3-4 selections at each). When I was in Chicago last summer, I went a vegan restaurant and I almost couldn't choose!

Looks like you guys did make some delicious choices though!