Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Tofu and Broccoli with Hoisin-Ginger Sauce

Prolific cookbook writer extraordinaire Robin Robertson is back with a new book, Vegan Fire & Spice, and she was generous enough to send us a copy to check out. Her collection of spicy international recipes is organized by geography and we've already bookmarked quite a number of pages. This tofu/broccoli stir fry is probably not the most sexy dish in the book but we started there because it looked like something simple and delicious for a quick weeknight meal. Many of the recipes are about kicking up the heat level, but even so, in most cases it's easy to adjust the spiciness in either direction. In this case Darlene wasn't too into having anything spicy so I just left out the chili paste and then the sauce was just hoisin, soy sauce and water - it can't get much easier. The ginger and scallions give it a small kick and I dashed some hot sauce on top of my portion for good measure.

I'm sure you'll be seeing more references to this new book here in the near future. In the meantime go give Robin's blog some love.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks simple and delicious. And I have NO aversion to spice whatsoever, so I am intrigued by her book.

As always the food looks great.

bazu said...

That book, and that dish, sound so good. I'm a huge fan of spice- the spicier, the better.