Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tofu-Spinach-Olive Calzones

That's really just a fancy way of describing how we used up some leftovers. For the baby shower Darlene made a huge batch of kalamata olive tapenade and we still have plenty left over. Plus we had some spinach/tofu filling left from the puff pastry turnovers. So tonight I mixed up a basic pizza dough then I added about a quarter cup of the tapenade to the dough and we made it into calzones filled with the spinach/tofu mixture. We had marinara sauce left from the chickpea balls too - just right for topping a calzone.

Tomorrow we're off to Delaware and then to New York City where we're sure to find some good vegan food. So if you don't hear from us for a while know that we're still eating well.

8 comments:

Mark said...

I'm sure you've heard about all the great vegan places here in New York but just in case: Candle Cafe, Sacred Chow, S'Nice, Blossom, and possibly my favorite, a bit fancy but amazing, Hangawi -- Korean Veggie food (Buddhist monastery cuisine) -- beautifully decorated, take off your shoes when you come in, all the food incredibly beautifully presented and delicious. Have a great trip!

Romina said...

Beautiful calzone! It looks so yummy.

Enjoy your trip to New York. I'm quite jealous of all the delicious foods you will be eating.

pleasantly plump vegan said...

perfect use of leftovers

Bianca said...

I love using leftovers to create totally new dishes! Looks amazing!

Have fun in New York!

vegan blog tracker said...

Great way to use leftovers! I have an uber-simple beer pizza dough recipe that I'll have to try using to make my own calzone leftovers. :-)

affectioknitter said...

Oh that calzone looks yummy!

VeggieGirl said...

Oooh, that calzone looks DIVINE - so heart and filling!

Have a lovely time in Delaware and NYC!! I'll be in NYC soon, so I can't wait to read about where you dined :0)

bazu said...

That's one of my favorite things about parties and get-togethers- you do so much cooking and prep work, you are set with food and leftovers for a long time afterward!