Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Vegan Express Blog Tour

So many new cookbooks, so little time. But Vegan Express, the latest offering from Nava Atlas is made for those who have little time. And with a baby on the way I'm sure we'll have much less time for spending in the kitchen in just a few more months. So when Nava graciously offered to send us a copy of her new book to check out, we couldn't refuse. We cracked it open tonight for the Quesadillas with Black Beans, Broccoli and Portobello Mushrooms. These are baked quesadillas, stuffed with black beans, salsa, broccoli and portobellos. On the side were Rosemary Roasted Potatoes with Black Olives, and I also made the Instant Roasted Red Pepper Sauce to go on top. Nava suggests that you could also use extra salsa instead of the red pepper sauce but the sauce really is a snap to make and it was the highlight of the meal - it's just silken tofu, roasted red peppers, lime juice, parsley and salt all blended together in a food processor. At first glance it seemed a little involved to make all of this stuff but it came together quickly - less than 45 minutes from start to finish (and I got a few dishes done during the last few minutes of baking too). Plus there's enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Which I'm quite looking forward to because this was all D-lish!

5 comments:

springsandwells said...

Hey Chris!
Cool... I don't know anything about Vegan Express - but I know a lot about not much time! Thanks for the review!

Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

love the color on the sauce.

Vegan_Noodle said...

I think I may need to get my hands on this cookbook! I have been all about quick meals lately.

thefoodsex said...

that quesadilla looks fabulous! i am definitely going to try out the red pepper sauce.

Peace, Love and Veganism said...

Oh yum! My husband loves quesadillas! Nice photo!