Tuesday, March 04, 2008

More RFD

First, I think I have a new favorite seitan recipe. The Basic Seitan recipe in Real Food Daily looked intriguing so I gave it a try and it turned out fabulously. Plus I really wanted to make the Salisbury Seitan. I guess it reminded me of school lunches as a child but there's certainly no comparison in terms of taste and nutrition. We had it with a salad and roasted sweet potatoes and hours later I was still saying, "Wow... that was a great dinner". The basic seitan recipe is awesome because it's tender but firm enough to hold up to slicing it any way you want to. And it makes 4 pounds so there's plenty leftover.

I was also intrigued by the picture of the RFD Meal - looked simple and nutritious. I'll call it beans, greens and grains. I cooked black-eyed peas with onions, carrots, garlic and a few diced leftover chard stems, and we had those with the steamed greens (collards and napa cabbage) and steamed millet and quinoa. Perhaps not quite as fun as the seitan but still good. And it doesn't get much more good-for-you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang, that looks TASTY! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to dig up the recipe. Puja

Melody Polakow said...

Everything looks amazing.. sometimes a simple meal of beans, grains and greens is the best thing ever.

VeggieGirl said...

beans, grains, and greens - sounds like a winning dish to me!

nerdling said...

Weird! We had the RFD Salisbury Seitan for dinner last night. That Golden Gravy is worth its weight in gold.

(And I, too, love her simple seitan. It's awesome and it freezes perfectly!)

Vegyogini said...

I haven't made it at home yet, but I've eaten the Salisbury Seitan meal in the restaurant and it is amazing.

Veg-a-Nut said...

I checked that book out from the library many moons ago, but never tried the seitan recipe. That was in my days of seitan uncertainty, but know I am all for it. Your dish looks wonderful.

Ellen said...

Real Food Daily is one of my favorite cookbooks. I was lucky enough to patronize both locations of the Real Food Daily restaurant in LA about a month ago. Fantastic! If you ever have the opportunity, go there. We had a couple of really great meals there.