Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pot Pie and a Sign of Spring

Here's something we've posted about at least a couple of times before but it still hits the spot on a cool night. When we make a pot pie we rarely follow a recipe exactly but usually we use the recipes in the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook as a guide. This one was filled with onions, carrots, celery, garlic, potatoes, seitan, kale and mustard greens. The sauce is a cup of plain soy milk, two cups of vegetable broth and a tablespoon of soy sauce and is thickened with a third cup whole wheat flour and a couple tablespoons nutritional yeast.

Despite the cool night, signs of Spring abound. As I was passing by our little herb garden the other day I noticed a big patch of green. At first I just assumed it was this invasive (and non-edible) mint that's slowly taking over our back yard. But then I realized it was something much more tasty (at least for some of us). An annual we planted last year and let go to seed is coming back with a vengeance. Who can be the first one to tell me what's in the picture below? Sorry, there's no prize for the winner; just the confidence you'll have in identifying a common culinary herb from a rather mediocre picture.

16 comments:

RustyJoy said...

Cilantro!

jenny said...

Got to be cilantro, soooo yummy, sooooo jealous...

Vegan_Noodle said...

Dang, guess I'm the third, but I swear I was gonna say cilantro. Wish I could grow it here, it seems to die with the heat in the summer. Basil at least seems to do well (and of course mint)

Chris said...

Right you all are! We planted a bunch last year and only harvested a very little before it bolted. Someone told me to let it go to seed and it would come back stronger and that is indeed what seems to be happening.

Veg-a-Nut said...

At first I thought flat leaf parsely, but everyone is probably right about the cilantro.

Fresh from the Source said...

My first thought was that it was celeriac, but you said an herb and it sure looks like cilantro. I plant it every year in my garden. Sometimes it reseeds itself, but dang, right now it is hard to tell; it's still under 3 feet of snow.

Lady Di said...

My cilantro never gets far enough to bolt. :( It always dies in the heat.

BTW: Did you hear that we're getting a Trader Joes next to Whole Foods (which is coming in around summer) at some point in the West End (across from Target in Short Pump). AND Penzey's is going in on Cary Street downtown? I am sooo excited! :D

pleasantly plump vegan said...

the pot pie sauce sounds so yummy! good job on the cilantro.

Melody Polakow said...

Looks like cilantro.. and if my yard was taken over by cilantro... OMG, I would be in heaven! wow... you should sell some of it!!

Wheeler said...

Ahh, I've been beat but it looks like cilantro. Ah summer salsas with cilantro.

Jenny said...

I'm with veg-a-nut, I thought it was flat leaf parsley, but everyone else has now convinced me it is cilantro.

Chris said...

You all know your cilantro!

I've heard about the TJ's lady di but I had no idea what Penzey's was. Herbs and spices galore! Sounds like my kind of place.

Food's answers and questions said...

Good job,the pot pie sauce looks so yummy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Darlene,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.


Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

Amy said...

I've been eyeing the potpie recipe in Veganomicon and now I think I'll have to try it. Yum!

funwithyourfood said...

well there's no need for me to "guess" eh??
:)