Friday, March 07, 2008

Split Pea Croquettes with Cauliflower

We've written about these croquettes from Alternative Vegan already but I didn't have anything more interesting since both meals from last post ended up lasting us several days. We've got so many great new cookbooks though that if we go back to a recipe a second time it must be a good one. So it is with these croquettes. We did use green split peas instead of yellow this time and instead of going the more low-brow route and having them with ketchup we used peach chutney that we canned last summer.

On the side was roasted cauliflower. That I made up as I went along but it went something like this: Cut up a head of cauliflower and put it in a big baking dish. Pour a few tablespoons peanut oil over it, then mix about a half teaspoon each salt, ground coriander and cumin and sprinkle that on top. Mix well and bake at 400° until tender, stirring occasionally. Actually I got impatient with it and wanted it to cook faster so after it had been cooking a while I put in a couple tablespoons of water and covered it with foil - the resulting steam helped it along.

6 comments:

Eesh said...

Mmm that looks really good. I've been wanting to get that cookbook but it's just gotten so ridiculous how many cookbooks I've amassed in the last few months. But now after seeing this dinner perhaps just one more won't hurt... ;)

Liz² said...

those croquettes are really surprisingly green! beautiful, really.

VeggieGirl said...

oooh, those croquettes are GORGEOUS!! they look like the Sunshine burgers that I love :0)

Bianca said...

Yum! I love green food! Especially topped with homemade peach chutney!

Chris said...

I do think I like the green split peas better than the yellow just for the color.

Erin said...

That meal looks completely delicious.