Friday, April 11, 2008

7 Pounds of Seitan (and other fun stuff)

One of many things we're trying to find the time to do now is cook some things that we can freeze for when after the baby comes. So last weekend I made a mother lode of seitan. We used some of it within a few days but a bunch went into the freezer for later too. I mentioned before that I'm all about the seitan recipes in the Real Food Daily cookbook. I especially like the Chicken Style Seitan recipe, in part because it makes a whopping 4 pounds at a time. Plus it's got white beans and chickpea flour so it's not entirely wheat protein (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I also made the steamed seitan sausages that are all the rage amongst the vegan folk nowadays. I tried two different kinds based on Isa's variation of Julie Hasson's recipe. Someone here recently pointed out Penzeys Spices to me and in addition to finding the smoked paprika I've been looking for there, I also found a number of varieties of sausage spice blends. They worked fairly well for making the seitan sausages but I'm not totally sold on them because it turns out they're mostly salt. I'd prefer to have a salt-free spice mix and then add the quantity of salt I want, so maybe once I use these up I'll experiment with making my own mixes.


In addition to the big block of RFD seitan and the sausages, the other part of this picture is the beginning of Susan's excellent Barbecued Seitan Ribz recipe (which calls for the aforementioned smoked paprika). Later we threw threw that sucker on a grill pan with some barbecue sauce and it was most delicious.


Another recent meal was the Moroccan Rice with Apricots and Pine Nuts from Robin Robertson's Vegan Fire and Spice. It's sort of a fried rice but with Moroccan spices and it made a quick and tasty (and somewhat different) one dish meal.


And finally, it must be spring because it was 80 degrees here today and I finally had to break down and cut the grass. But before I did I pulled out some of the many spring onions that were randomly poking out of our lawn. I've never been sure about eating these but I asked someone in the know who told me they're perfectly edible. Cleaning them was probably more trouble than it's worth, but we have a small bunch now that I'll cook with very soon. Happy Spring!


Oh, and one more thing - go vote for Hezbollah Tofu over Anthony Bourdain.

11 comments:

veganforone said...

Mmm. You can never have too much seitan. =)

Animal-Friendly said...

That's a whole lot of seitan- but it all looks soooo good!

VeggieGirl said...

7 pounds??? Yikes!! Glad to see you're putting it to good use, with delicious meals :0)

Ashley Nicole said...

MMM, the moroccan rice w/ apricots and pine nuts sounds so amazing!!

pleasantly plump vegan said...

beautiful spring onions

Bianca said...

I've been dying to try those sausages....I'm adding that to my list. And how did you get the seitan in a perfect rectangle? Mine's always quite blobby.

Chris said...

That's another thing I like about the RFD seitan recipes Bianca - it's baked in a square baking dish and thus is easily sliced and/or diced into any size or shape.

bazu said...

seitan motherload! I love it. I aspire to batch cooking/baking, but very often realize that Daiku and I have such big appetites that more goes into our bellies than the freezer!

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I just happened to make that chicken seitan this weekend. We breaded it like in the club sandwich recipe in RFD -- it was so good. But I also froze some and I was wondering if you tried that and how you would defrost it?

Chris said...

anonymous - we've breaded it too and it's great like that!

To defrost it I just take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge a day or 2 before I want to use it.

DJ said...

The moroccan rice just looks delicious! And I almost forgot to try those ribs in the excitement of getting my first load of wheat gluten flour - I need to give them a go!!