Sunday, April 20, 2008

Contrasting Breakfasts

Quinoa. For breakfast. That might sound a little different (it did to me), but why stick exclusively with the go-to grains (wheat and oats) for breakfast? In many cultures rice is perfectly acceptable breakfast food so quinoa is not that much more of a stretch. That's why I found the Creamy Quinoa with Dried Cranberries recipe in the brand new issue of Vegetarian Times intriguing. It's pretty simple too so that's what we had for breakfast this morning. You just cook quinoa and dried cranberries in a soy milk/water mixture, then add sweetener and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice) and sprinkle some chopped nuts on top (we used walnuts). It was a healthy and delicious change of pace to start the day.

Not quite as healthy, but even more scrumptious, are the glazed donuts I made this afternoon from My Sweet Vegan. Unlike some of you out there in vegan-land we're not fortunate enough to be able to walk down the street and buy fresh vegan donuts so we have to take matters into our own hands. Thanks to Hannah's incredible recipe we can do that. The fresh vanilla bean I used in the glaze was the icing on the cake (actually the glaze on the donut). With baby's arrival imminent I don't know when we'll find the time to make these again but they sure are fun. We'll have 'em for breakfast tomorrow but we've already gone and ruined tonight's dinner by having too many this afternoon.

18 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Quinoa Breakfast Porridge & Donuts - talk about delicious and decadent!! :0)

T said...

Woah, those donuts look AMAZING! They probably rival or surpass what's offered at all the fancy Portland places anyways. :) And they definitely beat out Krispy Kreme.

Vegan Invasion! (Ashley Nicole) said...

Those donuts are making my mouth water, MMM!

I've got a few recipes set aside for quinoa breakfast type meals. Yours sounds so simple and looks great; I need to make some for me!

Erin said...

Wow! Your donuts look reeeeally good. And I like the quinoa to balance the healthy factor.

Avery Yale Kamila said...

Oh yum! I want one of those donuts!!!

pleasantly plump vegan said...

mmmmm, donuts!

Bianca said...

WOW! Donuts are the closest thing to heaven on Earth...seriously. I really must buy that book. I really envy those people who can just walk down to the vegan mini-mall and grab a dozen...of course, making your own is more fun anyway. Take that, Portland vegans!

Animal-Friendly said...

Oh gosh....fresh glazed donuts! I don;t when the last time I had a donut was..... I've been eying that recipe and now I just HAVE to make it!

s said...

i have been craving donuts for about a week now, and the closest i could come was a box of nutrilicious donut holes. i must get this book. thanks for the drool-inducing picture!

funwithyourfood said...

i love rice for breakfast... everyone at work thinks i'm weird for it haha

but then again everything i eat is weird to some people.

teddy

carrie said...

I made that same quinoq recipe on Sunday too. I wasn't such a fan, I thought there was too much spice, and it left me feeling a little overwhelmed with spices. I'm definitely going to try it again, as I love the idea of quinoa for breakfast, but I think I'll have to switch it up a bit and do fewer spices.

DJ said...

I'm a big fan of quinoa for breakfast, and that combination sounds delicious, plus the donuts look awesome!

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

My Sweet Vegan is awesome! Everything looks very tasty.

Sheltie Girl said...

I like quinoa for breakfast too. Your donuts are gorgeous...I really need to make some again.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten a Go Go

aTxVegn said...

Those donuts turned out beautifully!

Mandee said...

I am hoping to make Hannah's donuts v.v.soon! Yours look fantastic!

Also, this is Kitteh of PPK. Thought I'd let you know I've added your blog to a list of my fave blogs on my new blog :)

xox

Lumpkin said...

when I was pregnant i made vegan donuts four times! and it's a pretty big production to make them. I have a pregnant vegan coming to visit this weekend so i guess it's back to donuts for me too. yours look so pretty!

Chris said...

thanks lumpkin!