Monday, April 07, 2008

Noodles with Walnut Pesto

This past weekend we had lunch at a relatively new restaurant called The Box. It's in the same location that used to house Liquid, an all-vegetarian sandwich and smoothie shop, and later Atomic Burrito which we also enjoyed. Though we miss both of these establishments, we found that The Box also offers some good veggie options. I guess you'd call it a noodle shop and we both had noodle bowls (which apparently come in a box if you get take out - hence the name). There are a vast array of combinations available, many of which are vegan. You start by picking from four different kinds of noodles, add one of several sauces (all but one of which are vegan), and you can top it off with tofu or grilled veggies. I had my noodles with an excellent walnut pesto and that's what gave us the idea for tonight's dinner. Our result ended up quite different from what we had in the restaurant but it was still quite yummy. We had it over noodles with stir-fried bok choy on the side. Here's how we did the pesto:

1 c. walnuts
1 Tbs. peanut oil
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 1/2 Tbs. soy sauce
1/4 c. packed fresh cilantro
1 roasted red pepper

Add the walnuts to a food processor and pulse a few times to coarsely chop. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until well blended, scraping down the sides several times or as needed. Serve over noodles (or eat with a spoon).

8 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

sounds like a fun restaurant, with lots of delicious eats!! love your variation on the noodle-shop dishes.

Bianca said...

That sounds great! I love any kind of sauce with a nut base!

insane scribbler said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

funwithyourfood said...

wait wait wait, where's the beef?? :)

I had pesto with my family this week, made with walnuts too. Great minds eh?

Teddy

Mara said...

Why is it that they make you choose tofu or grilled veggies? I want BOTH!

Chris said...

Thanks veggiegirl!

I do too bianca :-)

Saikat, you must not've looked very hard...

True enough Teddy.

I bet you could get both mara it's just that they'd charge you more :(

Sam said...

Yum! I wish I had a place like that around here. The pesto sounds and looks great! I'm a pine nut girl through and through, but walnuts would give it a more mild, earthy flavor. I'll have to try that!

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

This sounds like a great idea! I'll have to try this next time I'm making a pesto dish. Which might be sooner than expected, now!