Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Raw Collard Wraps

After the donut extravaganza we needed to get back to something more healthy right? And we also just made tacos with the Smart Ground, so here we went to the other end of the processed and cooked spectrum. The results however were only so-so. We recently found a copy of Ani's Raw Food Kitchen at our local library and the first thing we tried were lettuce wraps with the Garden Paté and Garlic Cashew Aioli. These were outstanding. So next up was the Taco Nut Meat, spread on collard leaves and topped with some of the leftover Aioli, avocado and cilantro. Meh. They were decent but I probably wouldn't do this again. For one thing, I just wasn't that keen on the raw collards. And the Taco Nut Meat recipe was a little heavy on the olive oil for my liking. There are many other tempting recipes in the book though and it's definitely got us interested in further raw foods exploration.

Update: One comment? Are you guys just not into raw foods? Or just not this particular post? How about some suggestions on your favorite raw recipes... Or maybe we should make more donuts ;-)

11 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

I own that "cook"book - it's a wonderful resource!! I follow a high-raw (75%-80% raw) vegan diet, so I'm ELATED to see that you're exploring some raw food options as well! :0)

Michelle Cz. said...

I am very curious about raw food recipes. Other than a salad, hummus, and a cold soup here and there, I've honestly not explored the prospect much.

Kristen said...

De lurking to say that I am somewhat interested in raw foods, but, um, I have to say that your description of "taco nut meat" really ... well, blech!!!

Chris said...

Well I found it's actually pretty decent spread thinly on toast Kristen, though I suppose that sort of defeats the purpose of the whole raw thing...

Bianca said...

I do a totally raw day on the first Monday of each month, as sort of a monthly detox. My favorite raw food is homemade raw almond milk!

I've also tried raw collard wraps, and the raw colllard leaves are a littel weird...but I like them.

kindkitchen said...

I agree on the taco nut meat not being the greatest-it was waaaay to salty for me! As for the Ani Phyo book, give it another try...I would definitely recommend the dessert section :]

bazu said...

one of my favorite food discoveries of 2007 was just how good collards are raw!

jj said...

LOL...how about those donuts!?? :)

Actually, my adventures in raw foods are amateur but learning all the time and I sincerely enjoyed your blog and learned a lot. Thanks!

Chris said...

Thanks for all the comments! I'm still not sold on the raw collards but I had one of the raw "scrambles" for breakfast the other day and it was pretty good.

SaraJane said...

I have that same book. Try the breakfast pancake things. They're super awesome and really fast/easy to make.

Personally, I want to incorporate more raw food into my diet, but not raw that's just salads all the time. It's intimidating when 98% of all the recipes in raw cookbooks need a vitamix and/or a dehydrator and/or a juicer. None of which I have.

Alaskans Helping Animals said...

Yum! Come visit me at http://alaskanshelpinganimals.blogspot.com/