Sunday, April 27, 2008

Stuffed French Toast

We post here about recipes from Vegetarian Times on occasion but for vegans, VegNews is usually a better read - and they've got more recipes in their pages these days too. The Strawberry-Ricotta French Toast in the latest issue looked particularly appealing, and when we found the first strawberries of the season at the farmer's market yesterday that sealed the deal. This was french toast taken to another level, each piece stuffed with strawberries and a citrus-flavored vegan ricotta, and dipped in a banana and cinnamon-flavored batter. It made for an outstanding brunch, but it took a lot more time to make it than it did to eat it - especially if you include washing the resulting pile of dishes. It's not something you can make every day but we'll definitely keep this recipe around for special occasions.

17 comments:

Preachawoman said...

Please post the recipe or tell how I can get it. This dish look delicious:) I so enjoy your post .Thanks

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Yummy...they look so delicious and comforting

Chris said...

it's in the May/June issue of VegNews.

Bee Roach said...

I usually avoid french toast, but your picture looks so good I am going to have to give it a whirl.

springsandwells said...

oooooh, FUN. I've been thinking about a big yummy breakfast for a while now. My good friend used to make a delicious stuffed french toast where she'd carefully cut a slit into the side of a slice of bread, and then fill it with jam. That's really good, and pretty easy too. Maybe I'll give it another go.

When's the little one coming??

Chris said...

any day now Amey, but definitely within the next 2-3 weeks.

And that's essentially what happens in this recipe, just with a more complex filling. But jam does sound good and a lot less complicated.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I was just checking out this recipe in VegNews & debating making it. Yours looks good!

pleasantly plump vegan said...

looks great

Nora said...

It seems like the TV has been flooded lately with commercials for Stuffed French Toast from IHOP, but I must say, yours looks a whole lot better!

Animal-Friendly said...

What a sinful breakfast- but it looks so good!

Bianca said...

Oh my, that looks amazing! I need to find that issue! Its not on stands here yet and my subscription is messed up (they still have my old address). I'm picking strawberries tomorrow morning!

Erin said...

That looks like an amazing breakfast. Come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER had stuffed french toast.

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Those look so good!

Cherie said...

Oh, even though I'm a raw foodist now, i was eyeballing that recipe! It looks excellent. Glad you tried it. :)

Vegan_Noodle said...

I saw this in VegNews and knew I wanted to make it. Now I doubly know. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

someone needs to post this recipe. I have to make this haha

Sophie said...

I'm Sophie, Key Ingredient's Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Sophie
http://blog.keyingredient.com/