Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kidney Bean and Barley Salad

Well I managed to make us a decent dinner last night and now I'm even getting around to posting about it. Though I imagine our posts here will be sporadic for a while. Our stash of food in the freezer is now severely depleted and we were fortunate enough to have some friends bring us food on several occasions, but at the moment we're on our own. So I threw together another grain salad. You could really go in any direction you want with this - what I did was mostly based on what we had on hand (and what's growing in our herb garden)

1 c. pearled barley
2 1/2 c. veg. broth

1 large can (25 oz.) kidney beans
1/2 c. frozen corn
1 roasted red pepper, diced
1 large avocado, diced
1 large carrot, shredded
2 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro

Dressing:
3 Tbs. lime juice
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. agave
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. finely minced fresh oregano
1/4 c. olive oil

Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan. Add barley then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for around 30 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. While the barley is cooking make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients but the olive oil in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until it thickens a little, then set aside. Put all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl then mix in the barley once it's done and cooled a little. Add the dressing and serve as is or chill for a while first. A dollop of salsa on top is a good addition too.

11 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

What a fabulous, hearty meal!

shellyfish said...

When my now 3-year-old was born, it was often really tough to get healthy vegan meals together- the freezer saved me for sure! I'd try & stock up all I could a few times a month.
Seems so long ago now...

Anonymous said...

Looks great. Hope all is well with Jonas!

Happy Herbivore! said...

Yum! Hope you are enjoying being new parents!!

Kristen said...

Nice to have you back in the blogosphere. I hope you are all doing well.

bazu said...

That meal looks so tasty- grain (especially barley) salads are definitely favorites around here. I hope you guys are having lots of fun with the baby!

SnowboardBunny said...

That looks soooo yummy. I'm definitely going to make that!

Isil Simsek said...

Definitely looks quite tasty,what else do new parents need :)I hope the little one and Darlene are doing well.

Julie said...

This salad is great! I just made it for the second time - bringing it to a potluck tomorrow. Thanks!

Koalaborg said...

thanks for a great post! I made this the other day and it was fabulous. Cold salads make an awesome meal during the summer.

Anonymous said...

I just found this while doing a search for a barley salad. I didn't have all the ingredients, but made something very similar. It was wonderful! I think the fresh parsley and the lime juice and cumin in the dressing are the key. I'm now making a double batch since the first batch mysteriously disappeared. ;) Thank you!