Saturday, May 03, 2008

Two Quick Salads

Here's a couple of good meals we've had recently courtesy of Quick Fix Vegetarian. A couple weeks ago I saw that Amey made the Mediterranean Orzo Salad and I said to myself, "Self, we haven't had orzo in a long long time." But we didn't have any artichoke hearts and the parsley is just getting started in our herb garden while the cilantro is taking over. So instead of Mediterranean it became Southwestern. I used black beans instead of chickpeas, and instead of artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and olives I added avocado, corn and roasted red pepper. And plenty of cilantro. I don't remember exactly how I made the dressing but I'm sure there was lime juice and fresh oregano in there. It was a good one course meal.


Then I was trying to come up with something to do with the nice bunch of local asparagus we found and I happened upon the Quinoa Salad with Roasted Asparagus recipe. I did add chickpeas to this one instead of white beans, and also cilantro instead of parsley but otherwise I stuck to the recipe. Served over fresh spinach, it was another fabulous Springtime meal-in-a-bowl. We do love hearty salads like these. Next time I think the grain of choice will be barley.

9 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

nice looking grain salads! very fresh.

Bianca said...

God, I could use some salads. Those look so nice and healthy. I've been eating crap all weekend, but I'll be raw fooding it tomorrow...I can't wait for fresh veggies!

Anonymous said...

Hello..lovely blog! Very inspiring.. I'm a vegetarian (not vegan) but would love for you drop by my blog. I recently started and would appreciate any advice!

http://veggiefoodist.blogspot.com/

springsandwells said...

yum!
I like the idea of turning it into a southwestern salad! Very clever.

:)

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

I love orzo! Those salads look delicious.

aTxVegn said...

The best thing about warmer weather is all the yummy salads - yours look so good!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Hearty salads are great for potlucks and warm weather. I'm thinking of taking one to a BBQ this weekend - they can be a meal in one dish if you don't expect many other vegan options at the potluck!

VeganCowGirl said...

Barley is great isn't it!!?? I adore it in soup as well as salad.

Your salads look amazing. I feel inspired to do something with Barley and avocado.

Thanks!

DJ said...

Thanks for the great ideas - I'm always trying to include more variety in my salad life, and grains could just be the way to do it!