Sunday, June 08, 2008

Restaurant Recipes from VT

It figures. We're always griping about the relative lack of vegan recipes in Vegetarian Times but the latest issue has more vegan recipes than we've seen among their pages in a long time. Except we have less time than ever before for cooking. The section on favorite recipes from vegetarian restaurants is particularly interesting and I did manage to throw together the Seitan Piccata (recipe from Candle 79) a couple nights ago. The Urban Vegan stole my thunder (as she is wont to do) but I don't have anything better to post about so.....

We still had some seitan in the freezer and we love anything with capers and lemon juice so the piccata sounded excellent - and fairly simple to make. Plus I really wanted to cook with wine, which is something I haven't done since before Darlene was pregnant. Some friends brought us fresh potatoes and peas from their garden and those were a nice accompaniment to the seitan. With the potatoes and peas we kept it simple - they were boiled briefly and served with salt, pepper and a little Earth Balance. There's nothing like fresh from the garden produce.

We also tried the Mac and Cheese recipe from Vegetarian Times, which is from Portland's Vita Cafe. It was good, if a little garlicky. We made it a little more nutritious by adding frozen spinach and we had toast with hummus on the side. I'm trying to find the time to cook but this is more typical of our meals these days - just a quick pasta dish (unless we're having Chinese take out or something frozen).

11 comments:

kindkitchen said...

I just checked out out the newest issue of VT from the library and was pleasantly surprised with all of the vegan recipes.

That Seitan Picatta looks great and I am sure the fresh vegetables put it over the top!

shellyfish said...

That Seitan Picatta is making me hungry! Question (which as a new parent you may not have time to answer and that's ok) how has your seitan been holding up in the freezer? Do you defrost it before cooking with it? I want to make some, but it makes such a huge amount, it would definitely be frozen...

Bianca said...

I've been wanting to try that mac & cheese recipe, but have yet to remember to pick up white rice flour. It looks so creamy!

Anonymous said...

bianca - I just made it with Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour from the regular grocery store and it was FANTASTIC (if not also more nutritious)!

Chris said...

it's just fine from the freezer shellyfish. I just take it out and defrost in the fridge a day or 2 before I want to use it.

I actually just used regular flour bianca - not sure how much of a diff. the rice flour makes but I'll probably try it that way at some point.

Marni said...

We tried the Mac & Cheese, too. The Husband thought it was really garlic-y. I liked it that way. We both thought it was a bit bland. I ended up adding some miso at the last minute. Spinach is a great idea, though. I'll try that next time.

However, my 4-year-old refused to eat it. I'm *still* looking for a vegan mac n' cheese he'll eat. Perhaps it was my choice of noodles. I'll make it with elbow pasta next time.

Chris said...

Miso is a good idea marni... I just ended up adding salt.

Vegan_Noodle said...

I am still impressed with your seitan even though UV beat you to it! This latest issue of VT was impressive... hopefully the trend continues!

springsandwells said...

Yeah, I was super psyched about that selection of recipes in VT. I haven't tried any yet, but I"m happy to see what you've tried.

I hope you and Darlene and the little guy are all doing well!

:) amey

Zara said...

Mmmm, Mac and Cheese.

Vivacious Vegan said...

What a coincidence. I just made that mac & cheese tonight. Unfortunately, I thought it was a little bland. I added in about 1 tsp of seasoning salt and still wasn't satisfied. I don't know what it was but it was missing something.