Monday, July 28, 2008

Corn Pudding, Take 2


Way back when, I posted about the Corn Pudding and Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu recipes from Veganomicon. Somehow I remembered that post just recently because I said I couldn't wait until summer to make the corn pudding with fresh corn. And the time is nigh for fresh corn. I picked up half a dozen ears at the farmers market on Saturday and found some time to make the corn pudding on Sunday. I also made another big batch of seitan so instead of the chile-cornmeal tofu we had the same coating on seitan.

The corn pudding was amazing with frozen corn but it was so much better with fresh because it got all sweet and lusciously caramel-y on the bottom. Our time for cooking is scarce these days but we might have to make this again before corn season is over. I'm not totally sold on the cornmeal coating on either the seitan or the tofu though. I fried it this time because I thought it came out a little dry baked, but now I think it's the cornmeal that makes it kind of dry. It was still really good, but next time I might use half cornmeal and half flour for the coating. Or I'll just go for our old standby and use almond flour.

10 comments:

jennycestcake said...

I've never considered using almond flour for a crust before. I've used cornmeal many times and agree that it can be somewhat dry. Thanks for the great idea today. I'm definitely going to try it soon.

Also, your corn pudding looks amazing!

springsandwells said...

yum.
I haven't been looking at Veganomicon much lately. That corn pudding looks great, and we've got loads of corn at the market. Good idea.

also, I just defrosted a 1-lb block of the RFD chicken seitan last night. I Love that stuff. :)

Anonymous said...

I found the same issue with the vcon cornmeal breaded tofu, though less so when I fried it with a proper (ie probably too much) amount of oil. I liked the general flavour though with the lime zest and cayenne.

Chris said...

thanks jenny... we really like using almond flour - if you can find it for a reasonable price.

me too amey.

anything is good when fried in plenty of oil right anonymous? well, anything vegan anyway.

s said...

have you tried pressing the tofu for less time than usual? i've found that leaving a bit of water in the tofu before breading and baking it per veganomicon renders it nice and moist.

Urban Vegan said...

That looks super. There are so many things from V-con that I still haven't tried but want to.

DJ said...

That looks really delicious!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Corn Pudding?
Yummy....How did the leftovers hold up, if you had any?

bazu said...

Ooooh, I love fresh corn. I'll have to think about making something like this- it looks amazing.

Alisha said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com