Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Spicy Seitan Fingers

Here's something fun we made over the July 4th weekend. We've done something similar in the past with TVP chunks and with tempeh but I was inspired by Vegan Dad's wingz recipes to try this again with seitan. I found time on my day off on the 4th to sleep a little and also to make a huge batch of the Real Food Daily seitan recipe so here's what I did with part of it. This was kind of an experiment but it came out really good. We use a milder hot sauce like Frank's Red Hot for this but if you want to use something hotter knock yourself out.

1 lb. seitan, cut into strips
1 Tbs. peanut oil
2 Tbs. maple syrup
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke
1/4 c. Earth Balance margarine
1/4 c. hot sauce

Prehet the oven to 350°. Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add the oil then the seitan and fry the seitan until brown on all sides. Add the maple syrup, soy sauce, cider vinegar, and liquid smoke and cook for a minute or so until the seitan is nice and glazed. Add the margarine and hot sauce and mix everything around until the margarine is melted. Pop the whole thing in the oven to finish for 15 minutes. We had ours with macaroni salad and steamed broccoli on the side.

13 comments:

shellyfish said...

Now this is inspired! Can't wait to try it.

jennycestcake said...

Those look so good. What a perfect recipe for the 4th of July! Hope Baby Jonas is doing well!

Bianca said...

Love anything involving sauciness and seitan. Looks great!

Susan G said...

That looks great! How do you like the RFD seitan? I haven't found a recipe that I've truly loved, yet.

Katy said...

I can't handle super spicy things, so these look perfect!

Chris said...

Thanks everyone!

susan g - The RFD chicken-style seitan is my favorite seitan recipe of many I've tried so far. It has chickpea flour and white beans so it's not 100% wheat based, it tastes great, it's firm and holds up well to slicing and frying and the recipe makes a ton so you can freeze a bunch for later. The only down side is it takes 2+ hours to bake.

springsandwells said...

yum!
I've been thinking of making up a batch of that seitan too... like you, I really love that recipe.

hope the little one is wonderful.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Looks good to me! My husband would love these. I'll have to try the RFD seitan!

pixiepine said...

This looks delicious. I'm defintely gonna give it a go!

St. Paul Photographers said...

We tried this last night and WOW. SO good! Instead of putting it in the oven we wrapped it in foil and placed it on the grill just because it was too beautiful outside to be in. :>) Thanks for the great inspiration!

bazu said...

Ahhh, that looks so tasty- and so summer-appropriate!

VeganCowGirl said...

Chris, those look brilliant. I have yet to see liquid smoke here in Brussels, but am inspired to see what I can do with other handydandy smokish possibilities.

Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

This was SOOO good! I substituted cider vinegar for red wine vinegar but had everything else on hand. Even my vegan 1 year old and non-veg husband liked it. 5 stars on this one!