Thursday, July 17, 2008

Summer Wraps

I shoot from the hip a lot more when cooking these days. That is to say, I do it all the time. Sure, I used to improvise on occasion, but I also used to spend weekends poring over cookbooks or magazines or blogs trying to find interesting new recipes to try. Nowadays what little "free" time I have on weekends is spent doing errands, paying bills or maybe - heaven forbid - sleeping an extra hour. So when dinner time comes around, if it's not something frozen or just a big salad or sandwich, it's something made up on the fly. Like these wraps. I did find the time to make a quick run to the farmers market over the weekend and we've even gotten a few squash and tomatoes from our small garden.

I started by cooking some rice with crushed tomatoes and a little lime juice and cumin. Then I cooked onions and yellow squash and added fresh corn, white beans, fresh tomatoes and garlic. I don't quite remember how it was seasoned but probably with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. The rice and squash mixture went into tortillas and we topped it with lettuce and more fresh tomatoes. Not the best thing I've ever made but it was quick and there were plenty of leftovers which is always a bonus.

Oh, and baby Jonas is doing really well but as you can tell, we don't have time for doing much else now except for taking care of him.

10 comments:

Bianca said...

Those look super refreshing and summer-y. I love anything with white beans...although I'm a little scared to have a kid now if it means no more time to pore over cookbooks...I think that makes me selfish. But I really love food!

Kristen said...

Oh tomatoes--I'm jealous! Mine are still green. Nice and fat, but greener than green.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Sometimes really simple and quick meals can be surprisingly delicious! Glad to hear yall are doing well!

springsandwells said...

That looks like a perfect summer dinner... I love gourmet cooking, but I also really love quick and fast cooking that comes out basically yummy. Start with good ingredients and you can't usually go too horribly wrong.

Glad to hear Jonas is doing well. :)

jennycestcake said...

Those wraps look delicious! I hear you about not having a lot of time anymore. My daughter is almost 16 months old and the first 9mos to a year after she was born were so hectic and unscheduled (which was really hard for me because I thrive on schedules!). Anyway, things have begun to normalize in the past few months and now I get to make dinner almost every night (although there are some days it is quite challenging (you will certainly learn to cook and hold Jonas at the same time!). Hang in there and give Jonas lots of kisses and hugs whenever you can!

Sorry if this is the second comment you receive from me. There was some weird technical glitch the first time I tried to comment! :-)

LK said...

Looks tasty! I love summer veggie wraps.

Brianna said...

I make something really similar except I add in some tempeh and use black beans instead of rice -- it's more of a taco I guess. I'm going to definitely try your variation, the tomato-squash-rice combo sounds divine.

Nikki said...

Hi! I really enjoy your blog and just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Brillante Weblog Award that I was also nominated for. Check out my blog for details! http://veganverve.wordpress.com

trina said...

Good idea!

very saucy vegan said...

Those look like some goooood eats!