Sunday, August 24, 2008

Banana Nut Muffins

I've already posted about my old standby banana bread recipe so this is really just a way to re-use some content. I've been making muffins from this recipe lately, which I like because they take less time to cook. In the original recipe I used egg replacer. There are those who would argue that you don't need egg replacer in banana bread (or muffins) because the banana acts as a binder. I did leave it out when I made the muffins this time and they came out fine but I do think the egg replacer helps them hold together slightly better. So add it if you've got it but feel to leave it out per the recipe below.

2 ripe bananas
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. + 2 Tbs. soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Mash bananas in a large bowl then add oil, sugar, soy milk and vanilla and mix well. Sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and gently mix until well combined (it will be a fairly stiff batter). Fold in nuts, then divide equally into oiled muffin tins (makes 12). Bake at 350ยบ for 25 minutes.

9 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Mmm, a classic baked good!

Bianca said...

That's a great idea. Muffins seem more like something I'd be more inclined to make rather than a loaf bread. Loaves never cook all the way through in my crappy old oven.

karlee said...

I found your blog recently and I'm very glad I did! Thanks for all the work you put into it.. I'm sure to try many of your recipes as soon as I acquire more free time.

VeganCowGirl said...

Yummy! Thanks for the reissue!

Urban Vegan said...

Classic yumminess.

Sophie said...

Delicious. A yummy classic that always hits the spot. Hard to beat!

We'd like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest (the recipe can be sweet or savory). All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes; the first place winner will win a cookbook of their recipes :)! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested.

Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/08/29/september-kick-contest/

Thanks :),
Sophie
KI Chief Blogger

Dr Fitness in a nutshell said...

I didn't have soy milk or flour on hand so I substituted soy milk with water. For the flour I blended dry old fashioned oats and used that.
They tasted really good!

Anonymous said...

Exchanged the flour for whole wheat pastry flour, soy milk for almond milk, added cinnamon and nutmeg- delicious!

Sheeka said...

Just made these muffins...added applesauce and ground flax seeds. Used sliced almonds instead of walnuts. Yummy!