Sunday, August 03, 2008

Easy BBQ Tempeh

I don't have many of my own recipes to share these days so I'll co-opt someone else's. We got some more fresh corn from the farmers market yesterday and the one thing I could think of that goes with corn on the cob is barbecue. Except we don't have a grill. Nor do we have the time to fire one up and cook something on it. So I decided to do my old standby of pouring barbecue sauce over tempeh and baking it. Except we didn't have any barbecue sauce. Probably because the last time I was in the grocery store looking at barbecue sauce and scouring ingredient labels for things like anchovies, I found that it all had high fructose corn syrup and I couldn't bring myself to buy any. So I made my own from a Vegan Dad recipe. All of his recipes rock, but especially this one. I halved the recipe for the sauce, upped the maple syrup just a tad, left out the brown sugar and added a tablespoon of molasses. Then I poured it over cubed tempeh and baked at 350° for 25 minutes. The amount of sauce was just right for an 8-oz. package of tempeh (unless you end up eating most of the sauce with a spoon first like I almost did).

We started the meal with a tomato salad made in large part from a monster yellow tomato from our garden. Only about half the tomato plants in our garden are doing anything this year but this one plant is producing like gangbusters. (There's a 'normal' sized tomato and an ear of corn in the picture for perspective.)

The salad was simple, fresh and delicious: tomatoes, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and a touch of fresh basil.


7 comments:

jennycestcake said...

That is one of the most gorgeous tomatoes I've ever seen! How great that it came from your own backyard.

aTxVegn said...

That tomato is awesome! I hope you get many more like it from your garden.

Bianca said...

That looks fantastic! I love the huge ass tomato. And you really can't go wrong with BBQ!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

ridiculously my type of meal! I may have to copy it asap.

Erin said...

That tomato is a monster!

Kristy said...

Yum, I can't wait to try this. And while I'm SURE that Vegan Dad's bbq sauce is much more delicious, in a pinch I'd suggest Annie's Naturals bbq sauce for a non-scary store-bought version. I found it in my local Albertson's after being dismayed by all the labels and almost giving up on the whole bbq sauce thing!

Chris said...

Thanks for the tip Kristy. We often get decent bbq sauce at Trader Joe's but we don't have a TJ's here so we only get it when we travel somewhere that has one (we have several now within a few hours' drive).