Sunday, August 31, 2008

Product Review: Purely Decadent Ice Cream

We've been fortunate enough on a couple of occasions to review some great vegan products but this was the package we anticipated the most. The kind folks at Turtle Mountain sent us samples of their new Purely Decadent vegan ice cream flavors to try and we're so glad they did. We were especially keen to try out their new line of vegan ice creams made with coconut milk. I have to confess that we tried a small sample of almost every flavor within minutes of the package arriving but this weekend we invited a bunch of friends over to help us sample this bonanza. Unfortunately almost everyone we invited was either busy or out of town this weekend (or we just don't have many friends). Either way I guess that's more for us.

So yesterday we did little sample plates for us with all five of the coconut milk based flavors and all five of the new soy based flavors. And today we did have one friend come over to sample some of the creamy goodness. I took pictures but go on over to the Purely Decadent site to see what professional pictures of all these flavors look like.

The coconut milk flavors are (clockwise from top left): Vanilla Bean, Coconut, Cookie Dough, Chocolate and Mint Chip. With the exception of course of the coconut flavor, we hardly noticed the coconut milk base in any of these. What we do notice is a rich, full-flavored creaminess that's every bit as good as (or maybe better than) dairy ice cream. To be fair, maybe we're not ones to judge since it's been many years since either of us has had dairy ice cream, but the friend we had over is not vegan and her first remark (after mmmmm) was that she would've never known these were dairy free if we hadn't told her. All of these flavors are truly outstanding (I just know I'm going to run out of superlatives here) but the two flavors that really stood out for all of us were the Chocolate and Cookie Dough. In fact the Cookie Dough is fast on its way to becoming the first of all the flavors we received to disappear completely - probably because it reminds Darlene of downing whole pints of Ben & Jerry's cookie dough ice cream after long bike rides way back in the day.

We're totally enamored with the coconut milk based flavors but the new soy based flavors are awesome as well. They are (clockwise from top left): Dulce de Leche, Blueberry Cheesecake, Key Lime Pie, Snickerdoodle and Belgian Chocolate.


These all live up to the Purely Decadent name quite well, though they're maybe a tiny notch below the coconut milk flavors in creaminess. Our surprising favorite among this batch turned out to be Snickerdoodle. Neither of us initially thought this would be a favorite but it packs a powerful cinnamon punch and has scrumptious bits of cookie dough mixed in - what's not to like? The Key Lime Pie is incredible as well and I'm all about the Belgian Chocolate too, even though I like the coconut milk based chocolate flavor a bit more. There's definitely not a single flavor in the whole lot that we won't savor to the last drop. (I also must confess that I totally licked those plates clean after I was done eating the samples with a spoon.)

Now all this writing has made me hungry so excuse me while I go dig into the freezer...

15 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

YUM!!!!

Gabrielle said...

The pomegranate chip is also very good - and I love the blueberry cheesecake - I haven't tried the coconut milk flavors yet, but will no doubt in the future.

SusanV said...

Okay, that's it! I've been a little envious of bloggers who receive free samples in the past, but now you're getting ice cream? Who do I have to bribe to get on the Turtle Mountain list? :)

They look delicious, but I already love their soy ice creams...probably a little too much. Maybe it's a good thing the coconut isn't available in my area; just one more temptation I don't need.

Anonymous said...

hi there,
stumbled upon your blog looking for yummy food ideas...

just wanted to pass along that Coconut Bliss is the ABSOLUTE BEST vegan icecream. Not sure if you can get it where you are at. Luda and Larry (couple in Oregon) started the company and we get it here on Maui....either way....hopefully you can get it, because it is too good to miss.

happy eating!

Zoey said...

I am loving these coconut milk ice creams. Currently the mint chocolate chip and plain chocolate are my favorites. Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Amey said...

whoa!!!!
I'm with Susan on this one! Sooooo jealous! :)

How fun to try all these amazing new flavors. I haven't even eaten breakfast yet, but now I am drooling over ice cream!

Vegan Eating Out said...

These sound delicious. I can't wait until they come to my supermarket.

Vegan Nutritionista said...

Mmmmm! Just tried the coconut milk-based cookie dough last night. What I loved about it is that you can barely detect the coconut flavor, but it's so rich and creamy. It's smoother and softer than soy-based ice creams. Delicious!

Bianca said...

I love the coconut milk mint chocolate flavor, and I can't wait to try the snickerdoodle kind!

VeganCowGirl said...

I love the idea of ice cream being made out of coconut milk - there is nothing more decadent than that!

Ruby Red Vegan said...

Those sample plates are incredible -- I can't believe that anyone would turn down an ice cream tasting! I got my hands on the Snickerdoodle flavor recently too. I absolutely love it! It is by far the best Purely Decadent flavor I have tried. Thanks for the review, because now I'm looking foward to sampling the Chocolate and Cookie Dough flavors with coconut milk!

Laura said...

oh gosh i love these too!! i am in love with the vanilla bean coconut milk ice cream! the bits of vanilla make me smile. i am obsessed with trying the blueberry cheesecake and pom chip flavors...it is pretty tough to find them in missouri! maybe it's better i haven't tried them yet, because i would like for my pants to still fit me! :)

Marite said...

Reading these reviews and corresponding comments has made me just drool with longing. Coconut milk ice cream just sounds like it would be so ungodly delicious (and creamy) that I barely believe someone hasn't done it sooner. I don't suppose these flavors will be hitting the shelves in Angola any time soon though... enjoy for those of us who can't.

The Traveling Vegetarian said...

They sent me the coconut milk stuff too. It's heavenly! I love Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss, but we can't get it here. I was so happy to find that we have the Purely Decadent at Whole Foods. Hopefully when we get TJ's they'll have it there too.

Jonas said...

I've only tried the cookie dough so far, because when I saw it I was like, "Must have!" It was so good it's guaranteed I'll be trying the rest soon. I think I might never buy soy ice cream again!