Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Typical Week

When we started here (going on three years ago), the idea was to show what a couple of vegans eat on a regular basis, from the ordinary to the spectacular. After a while the ordinary just wasn't "blog-worthy" anymore and we started posting only the better stuff (or whatever was new or fun). Now that we have a baby and thus very limited time to cook, there's not much that's new or blog-worthy anymore. So I thought I'd document the typical again and post about what we had over the course of a week. Actually this turned out to be a decent week with maybe a little more time for cooking than we might have other times. I started a week ago Saturday with the BBQ Tempeh I've already posted about.

Next up was black-eyed peas with chard, then Monday night was a tofu scramble with spinach (that came out of the freezer) and roasted potatoes. I saw the big fingerling potatoes at the farmers' market and they were a little expensive but I just had to get them so I could make these oven fries.

I also splurged a little and got some organic baby squash at the market. On Tuesday night I quartered them lengthwise and sautéed them in olive oil with garlic then I added pasta. I was going to do just olive oil and garlic but I found some tomato/tempeh sauce I made a long time ago way in the back of the fridge so I used that up.


And that was pretty much it for the cooking. On Wednesday night we just had a big salad. Yeah, those silly vegans eating nothing but salad... Ours had red lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes from our garden, carrots, artichokes, chick peas, slivered almonds, pine nuts, and dried cranberries.

Then it was back to the freezer - this time for the whole meal - for Amy's pot pies. These are a tad pricey but a lot cheaper than eating out.


And the week finished off Friday with a salad and a sandwich. More cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden, and a sandwich on whole wheat bread with seitan, tomatoes and vegan mayo.


If you've read this far, maybe some of you other bloggers can help me with a question. Other than moderating comments, is there any way to have Blogger notify you if you get a comment on an older post? I'm not sure I want to moderate all comments, but every so often I notice comments that appear on older posts - usually a long time after they appeared. I always read and appreciate new comments, even if I don't respond to them all, but with well over 500 posts now who knows how many comments I've missed on older posts. OK, it's probably not that many but still I'm curious.

15 comments:

Erin Semagin Damio said...

Go to your blogger dashboard and click on 'manage settings,' then click on 'comments.' Scroll all the way down and the last thing you can fill out is a comment notification email address -- they will email that address any time a comment is left.

Jodie said...

You can either moderate comments for just older posts, or you can get notification on all comments- not sure if that would be overwhelming or not. I don't think that Blogger offers anything in between. The good news is that if you go the moderated comments route, you don't have to moderate your currents posts- you can set it for as far back as you like.

Fresh from the Source said...

Your "typical week" looks delicious. I think that going back to simple is the way to go in this busy, wacky world.

VeganCowGirl said...

There was nothing mundane or ordinary about that food post Chris! It all looks really healthy, fresh and fun. I am such a big fan of tofu scramble, it is such a nice accompaniment to potatoes or really good crusty bread!

Hope all is well in baby land!

Chrissy said...

I really like seeing what y'all eat during a less exciting week. I'm also really busy all the time, so simple meal ideas are always a huge help.

jennycestcake said...

I must admit that you and your wife are eating a lot better than my husband and I did when we first had our baby. Everything we ate came out of our freezer for at least the first 9-12 months. Keep up the good work!

Vegyogini said...

That looks like a great week of food! You have so much variety packed into your week despite the fact that you see it as a bit more "typical" than you'd prefer. I think someone already commented that you can get Blogger to email you comments; that's how I have mine arranged.

Susan G said...

I, too, love seeing the "typical" week - it gives me ideas when I can't think of cooking (or not) one more night!

And of course we never get tired of seeing baby pics!

Thanks for sharing,
Susan

Vegan_Noodle said...

It looks like yall are eating quite well considering you are busy with baby!!

Amey said...

Hi Chris,
I love this kind of post. It was your direct approach to everyday eating that first made me love this blog! And it totally supports your vision - showing that even vegans who just had a baby still can cook up nutritious, varied meals throughout the week.

:) amey

aTxVegn said...

I get comments thru email.

I think your meals look healthy and delicious.

Bianca said...

You know, I love the fancy stuff and all. But I find everyday meals far more interesting. It's facisnating to see how people eat day to day. In college, I worked at a grocery store, and I loved seeing what all people had in their carts. I think that makes me a little weird, but whatev.

As for the comments, I'd like to know how to do that too. I'm gonna read the other suggestions. Thanks for bringing that up.

B36Kitchen said...

Comments thru email is the best thing.

Your week of food is much better than my last few weeks of food.

veganf said...

Loved the week of regular meals.
We just had our 4th, and the meals I post consist of a lot of "ramen noodles with..." these days, LOL. Congrats.

- Krista

funwithyourfood said...

I get my comments thru email too so I read them all before I moderate them...

:)

Teddy